Find the root of integral equation

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation with multiple variables and limits of integration, and the question of how to find a numerical value for an unknown that appears inside the integral and limits. The suggested method is using iterative methods, specifically Newton-Raphson, and the conversation also mentions the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is noted that a first trial of the unknown variable is necessary to find the root.
TheSource007

Homework Statement

Hi everyone.
I have encountered a weird equation while doing some research and I have no idea how to solve it.
The equation goes like this

∫ dR / (1+ c*r) ^ (a/r) = d, limits of integration are from 0 to Rmax,
where Rmax ^2 = ^2 - α^2, where u is a constant value of r.
and r^2 = R^2 + α^2,
c is a constant and d is my independent variable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to do a C function that takes one value of d and returns a value of α. I thought of doing
∫ (1 / (1+ c*r) ^ (a/r) ) - d = 0 and try to find the root, or do minimization. The problem is that α also appears on the limits of integration, and even if it wasn't there, I still don't know how to do either.
Also, for any value of d, there is a value of α, but r changes from r = α to r= u.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Even though alpha appears both inside the integral and in the limit, you can differentiate wrt alpha. That allows you to use standard iterative methods: given a trial alpha, find the resulting d, calculate the error and use the derivative to estimate an adjustment to alpha.
... and it will have the standard pitfalls.

Could you refer me to sources where they explain more on the iterative methods that can do this sort of problem? I have no experience in finding a numerical value for an unknown that appears inside an integral (and inside the limits for that matter)

TheSource007 said:
Could you refer me to sources where they explain more on the iterative methods that can do this sort of problem? I have no experience in finding a numerical value for an unknown that appears inside an integral (and inside the limits for that matter)

A basic method when you know the derivative function is Newton-Raphson. See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method.
You understand how to expand ##\frac d{dx}\int^{f(x)}g(x, z).dz##, right?

haruspex said:
You understand how to expand ##\frac d{dx}\int^{f(x)}g(x, z).dz##, right?
Is that just the fundamental theorem of calculus?

And also, is there any method to find the root that does not involve a first trial of alpha?
Thanks

TheSource007 said:
Is that just the fundamental theorem of calculus?
It's a little more complicated because x is in two places.
And also, is there any method to find the root that does not involve a first trial of alpha?
Thanks
No.

Related to Find the root of integral equation

1. What is the meaning of "finding the root" in an integral equation?

Finding the root of an integral equation means solving for the value of the variable that makes the equation equal to zero.

2. How is finding the root of an integral equation different from finding the root of a regular algebraic equation?

In an integral equation, the variable is present in both the integrand and the limits of integration, making it more complex to solve compared to a regular algebraic equation.

3. What are some techniques for finding the root of an integral equation?

Some common techniques include using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal or Simpson's rule, or using analytical methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients.

4. Can an integral equation have multiple roots?

Yes, an integral equation can have multiple roots, which can be found by solving for the different values of the variable that make the equation equal to zero.

5. What is the importance of finding the root of an integral equation?

Finding the root of an integral equation is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows us to solve for unknown quantities in complex systems and model real-world phenomena.