1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule: partial derivatives transformation

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1

Let g(x,y) be a function that has second order partial derivatives. Transform the differential equation

[tex]\frac{\delta ^{2}g}{\delta x^{2}}-\frac{\delta ^{2}g}{\delta y^{2}}=xyg[/tex]

by chaning to the new variables [tex]u=x^2-y^2[/tex] and [tex]v=xy[/tex]
    The equation doesn't have to be solved.

Okay, so this is basically an exercise in using the chain rule.
    The first part is pretty easy.

[tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}=\frac{\delta g}{\delta u}\cdot \frac{\delta u}{\delta x}+\frac{\delta g}{\delta v}\cdot \frac{\delta v}{\delta x}=2x\cdot \frac{\delta g}{\delta u}+y\frac{\delta g}{\delta v}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta y}=\frac{\delta g}{\delta u}\cdot \frac{\delta u}{\delta y}+\frac{\delta g}{\delta v}\cdot \frac{\delta v}{\delta y}=-2y\cdot \frac{\delta g}{\delta u}+x\frac{\delta g}{\delta v}[/tex]

Now I try to find [tex]\frac{\delta ^{2}g}{\delta x^{2}}[/tex] using the information from A. I realize I'm supposed to use the chain rule again, but I just can't get the right answer, so I guess I'm missing some fundamental understanding of what's going on here.

Here's what the first part of the problem eventually should boil down to:
    [tex]\frac{\delta ^{2}g}{\delta x^{2}}=2\frac{\delta g}{\delta u}+4y^{2}\cdot \frac{\delta^{2} g}{\delta u^{2}}+4xy\cdot \frac{\delta^{2} g}{\delta u\delta v}+y^{2}\cdot \frac{\delta^{2} g}{\delta v^{2}}[/tex]

This part above is what I need help with, if I understand that part, I think I can manage to solve the rest of the problem.

Help is much appreciated. If I find out how to do it I will post here later. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2

Gold Member

There is a rather old textbook, "Advanced Calculus" by Angus Taylor that addresses the kind of problem you are experiencing very carefully in Chapter 6 in a section titled "Second derivatives by the chain rule". Your library may have a copy. As I recall, when I first ran into this problem, the issue was as much notation as anything else.
  4. Jan 10, 2009 #3
    I see where you are stumbling:

do you know how to do:

d/dx [ dg/du ] ?

Are you correctly using the product rule as:

it's d/dx[ 2x . dg / du]?

Do you know that dg/du consists of two variables (u,v) so you need to take care of that .. ?

I got the first part.. apparently, there aren't any tough work involved. You just need to understand:
    d/dx [df (x,y) /dx] = d^2.f / (dx.dy) + d^2 . f/ (dx^2)

Use trees - they help: write f, and then two children u,v .. both have x,y children
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. Jan 13, 2009 #4
    [tex]\frac{\delta ^2 g}{\delta x^2}=\frac{\delta }{\delta x} \left(\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}\right)[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{\delta }{\delta x} \left( \frac{\delta g}{\delta u}\cdot \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} \right) + \frac{\delta }{\delta x} \left( \frac{\delta g}{\delta v}\cdot \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} \right) [/tex]

Then use the product rule on each. then the chain rule again when differentiating a partial differential of g. It's long winded but it'll do the trick!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?