Challenges of the Course and the Likelihood of Success

In summary, the consensus seems to be that the course is difficult, but if you are prepared to study and do the work, you should be able to pass with relative ease.
Nusc
As far as I have seen on the web, this course is holy abstract.

Anyone willing to discuss the difficulties in it?

Are most people likely to fail it? What's the consensus?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is the matter of what you can accept. If you are ready to change your mind about what you are told before, this course should not be hard to handle.

as long as you have the prereq you should be fine...i jumped in without bexcause well the prereq them selves are a joke but..therer are certain things i needed. eg the proving methods the teacher preferred.

I'm taking real analysis next semester along with 4 other math classes. I asked a prof if he thought I could do it and he said of course. I don't think it is that bad. People tend to exaggerate alot. For example when I took differential equations everyone said it was the hardest class in the world and it turned out to be just like anything else, study till you know everything and you will get an A.

If you typically get A's then you know how to study, if you don't get A's then learn how to study. Once you learn how to study you will be fine. By learning how to study I mean you need to be honest with yourself. You need to study until you know all the material inside and out, don't stop studying because you "think" you know the material, really learn it. Many people go into exams without knowing everything, this is a mistake, and leaves room for error.

So basically, don't worry about, just study:)

Last edited:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I think it would be better to post this question in here than start a new thread.

Is Numerical Analysis the same as Real Analysis?

No absolutely not, ryan.

Real Analysis consists of 2 classes - its about calculus and analytical methods, whereas Numerical Methods are methods where Analysis is pointless - rather absolutely impossible - the real world for example. Numerical methods will focus on computational methods of solving a particularly hard problem or problems that don't have an analytical solution - it would be most valuable for science and engineering students, as well as finance

Here let me list the course description:

Real Analysis:
Study of basic topics in analysis with emphasis
on methods. Sequences, series, functions,
uniform convergence, continuity, partial differentiation,
extreme value problems with
constraints, Riemann integrals, line integrals,
improper integrals, integrals with parameters,
transformations, Riemann-Stieltjes
integral, uniform and absolute convergence
of integrals. Beta and Gamma functions.

Numerical Analysis:
Polynomial interpolation and approximation
of functions. Divided differences. Leastsquares
data fitting, orthogonal polynomials.
Numerical differentiation and
integration. Solution of nonlinear equations.
Gaussian elimination, pivoting, iterative
refinement, conditioning of matrices.
Numerical solution of ordinary differential
equations.

Last edited:
Some institutions obviously differ in prerequisites.

For my institution it's just Calculus II...which is sad because we weren't required to do proofs in that course.

Eratosthenes said:
I'm taking real analysis next semester along with 4 other math classes. I asked a prof if he thought I could do it and he said of course. I don't think it is that bad. People tend to exaggerate alot. For example when I took differential equations everyone said it was the hardest class in the world and it turned out to be just like anything else, study till you know everything and you will get an A.

If you typically get A's then you know how to study, if you don't get A's then learn how to study. Once you learn how to study you will be fine. By learning how to study I mean you need to be honest with yourself. You need to study until you know all the material inside and out, don't stop studying because you "think" you know the material, really learn it. Many people go into exams without knowing everything, this is a mistake, and leaves room for error.

So basically, don't worry about, just study:)

Well the first four calculus and ODE's is easy. But courses like linear algebra and real analysis have more logic involved. Proofs are so demanding.

I hate them!

neurocomp2003 said:
as long as you have the prereq you should be fine...i jumped in without bexcause well the prereq them selves are a joke but..therer are certain things i needed. eg the proving methods the teacher preferred.

What are the prerequisites for your analysis course?

Okay then, is a mathematical proof course "required"?

Okay then, is a mathematical proof course "required"?

I wouldn't think so, for me Analysis was the course where I was first introduced to formal proofs. Nothing wrong there. You don't really prove anything before studying analysis - everything in calculus is usually taken on faith, the proofs are left in the appendices. (Unless you take Linear Algebra first... that should be proof-heavy).

Could you speculate precisely what exactly is expected that you know well from Calculus I & II to take a second year math course in Analysis?

Nusc said:
Some institutions obviously differ in prerequisites.

For my institution it's just Calculus II...which is sad because we weren't required to do proofs in that course.

I just finished Calc III, and I didn't have to do proofs in that class still. I think it's a good thing, though. I don't get half the proofs anyway. Even the proof for a limit. I was looking at it the other day, and it makes NO sense to me mathematics-wise. I'll stick to common sense, thank you.

PL

in my school the main prereq is being able to do proofs, not any specific facts from calc. indeed the course basically, redoes all the calc but does it carefully with full proofs.

1. What are some common challenges that students face in a course?

Some common challenges that students face in a course include time management, difficulty understanding course material, lack of motivation, and balancing coursework with other responsibilities.

2. How can students increase their likelihood of success in a course?

Students can increase their likelihood of success in a course by actively participating in class, seeking help from instructors or tutors when needed, staying organized and managing their time effectively, and setting realistic goals for themselves.

3. Are there any specific tips for overcoming challenges in a course?

Yes, some tips for overcoming challenges in a course include breaking down assignments into smaller, manageable tasks, seeking help from peers or instructors, seeking out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups, and staying organized and on top of deadlines.

4. How important is self-motivation in successfully completing a course?

Self-motivation is crucial in successfully completing a course. Without it, students may struggle to stay on top of coursework, meet deadlines, and actively engage in class discussions and activities.

5. What are some strategies for maintaining motivation throughout a course?

Some strategies for maintaining motivation throughout a course include setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for completing tasks, seeking support from peers or mentors, and reminding yourself of the potential benefits and opportunities that come with successfully completing the course.