Mechanical Engineering Problem sets for a problem member

In summary, the conversation revolved around a previous post being locked due to insulting a member, with the poster apologizing and explaining it was not personal. They then asked for examples and problem sets for engineering courses, specifically in thermodynamics and strength of materials. The conversation then moved on to a mechanics of materials problem involving a bridge with specific dimensions and a load being applied.
dsaun777
I got my last post locked due to insulting a member here. I do apologize I'm under a lot of stress and was nothing personal. The post was about the level of difficulty of engineering courses compared to those of mathematics at the undergraduate level. I am just curious if anyone would be kind enough to respond, despite my last failed post, and maybe share some examples and problem sets for such courses. In particular problem sets in thermodynamics or strength of materials. I just want to see what it is that I'm up against and why some members believe it is not a good idea to take an accelerated summer course in thermordynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org

Likes Vanadium 50
ok...

Here is a mechanics of materials problem for you to consider.

A bridge is simply supported at each end and also on two piers within the length. The piers are a distance S from each end of the bridge, and also a distance S apart (the total length of the bridge is 3*S). The bridge is considered as a uniform beam with Young's modulus E and area moment of inertia I. A load W is applied downward at a distance 1.65*S from the left end of the bridge. Determine the reactions at each of the four support locations.

Last edited:
Likes dsaun777
Dr.D said:
and area moment of inertia I
You're too kind. You might have said the bridge has width w and thickness h.

1. What is a mechanical engineering problem set?

A mechanical engineering problem set is a collection of problems that require the application of mechanical engineering principles and concepts to solve. These problems are typically given to students as assignments to help them practice and improve their problem-solving skills.

2. How do I approach solving a mechanical engineering problem set?

To solve a mechanical engineering problem set, it is important to first understand the problem statement and the given parameters. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and apply relevant equations and principles to each part. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or sketches to visualize the problem and its solution.

3. What are some common challenges when solving mechanical engineering problem sets?

Some common challenges when solving mechanical engineering problem sets include understanding the problem statement, identifying relevant equations and principles, and applying them correctly. It can also be challenging to keep track of units and conversions, as well as ensuring the accuracy and precision of calculations.

4. How can I improve my performance on mechanical engineering problem sets?

To improve performance on mechanical engineering problem sets, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to review fundamental concepts and equations, as well as familiarize oneself with common problem-solving techniques. Additionally, seeking feedback from professors or peers can also aid in improvement.

5. Are there resources available to assist with solving mechanical engineering problem sets?

Yes, there are many resources available to assist with solving mechanical engineering problem sets. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems and solutions, and study groups or tutoring services. It is important to utilize these resources effectively and not rely on them solely for solving problems.