1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenging projectile question

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone!
    im having trouble doing a question on projectile motion, and i came across this website thought id give it a go :smile:, see what you guys think...

a bomb is dropped from a plane travelling at velocity r0, the trajectory of the plane is completely horizontal at the moment that it is dropped. Derive an equation for the horizontal distance d at which he needs to drop the bomb in terms of the planes velocity r0 and altitude h

here is a diagram:

at first i thought to use s=ut+.5at^2 and resolve it into x and y components but i keep on getting stuck due to the lack of a t value, any help is greatly appreciated in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can use that equation to work out 't' hint you know what 'a' is.
    Then in the forward direction there is no 'a' (ignoring air resistance) so you need one of the other equations.

Nice drawing by the way!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?