Chances of getting into graduate school

• Schools
  • Thread starter vincebs
  • Start date
I think you're worrying a bit to much. My sister and I are nationals from Nicaragua, but I came to the United States before high school. My sister stayed. She did her undergraduate at a national university, and now is doing a Masters at USC. By no means is any undergraduate university in our home country even close to the reputations of UT, but she managed. As far I can tell, her GPA was around 3.86, GRE subject around 820 and i'm not sure about her general.
Thanks, I do think I am worrying a lot, it's just that I'm really anxious about one of the professors who are writing me a reference letter: I asked him when he was in a bad mood and he sort of took some questions I asked him the wrong way. Are you two U.S. permanent residents? If you are, then you aren't considered international students since you are eligible for U.S. gov't grants.

I recently realized something that might complicate my application: my school converts percentages to GPA differently from most schools. Here, if your average mark in your course is 85% or above, you get a 4.0 (an A). 80% and above is 3.7 (A-), 77%+ is 3.3 (B+), 74%+ is 3.0 (B), etc. But I think at most schools you need 90% and above to get 4.0, and 85% is only a B. So does that mean that schools will view my 3.25 GPA as a 2.25 GPA (!!!)? Keep in mind that my school marks hard and that the class average in physics is a 2.46 GPA (~ 69% in percentage based on average marks in a course)

Last edited:
Just got my GRE subject score: 880 (87th percentile)

Do you think this will help my applications? Or is it too low for an international student to do anything?

Do you think this will help my applications? Or is it too low for an international student to do anything?
This is you worrying to much again. You're from Canada. It isn't like you are from a country that speaks a completely different language. All this is doing for you is causing anxiety and that is not good for you. Relax, apply to the schools you want to apply too. I'm fairly certain at least one will take you. Have some high reach, have some easy schools, but regardless, stop making making a mess out of nothing!

Vince, a good friend of mine is currently at MIT on a fellowship (better than a TAship: he doesn't have to TA in his first year). He got this with the following:
  • 880 Gre Physics score
  • Good General scores (V720/Q800/A5.5)
  • 93% graduating average
  • Three strong reference letters (one each from full professors at U of T and Queen's, one from an emeritus professor at Queen's)
  • One summer of research on an NSERC USRA at U of T

Not sure if this helps very much, but it gives you something to compare to. I won't be like everyone else here and say to stop stressing, as I'm going through it right now, too.