Change in a vector upon rotation of the coordinate frame

In summary, the equation is to compute the change in a vector A when the coordinate frame is rotated by angle Δ(Φ). The equation is to take the direction of the vector dθ and then use the cross product to get the change in A.
Jigyasa

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. We were discussing conservation of angular momentum as a consequence of rotational invariance in class. There was one point where we needed to compute the change in a vector A when the coordinate frame is rotated by angle Δ(Φ).

Homework Equations

The teacher said that ΔA = ΔΦ x A (cross product), where ΔΦ is a vector perpendicular to the plane of rotation. I am not sure if I understand this equation correctly.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I understand it:
Consider rotation in the x-y plane. As Φ is an angle in the x-y plane, grad(Φ) will be in the direction of the outward normal (z direction). Now, (grad(Φ) x A) will give the direction of A

The problem is, I think I'm mixing up grad(Φ) and the vector ΔΦ. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jigyasa said:
ΔA = ΔΦ x A (cross product), where ΔΦ is a vector perpendicular to the plane of rotation.
That is only valid for small rotations. For example, consider a radius vector length r in the plane and subjecting it to a small rotation dθ. The endpoint moves by rdθ at right angles to the radius vector. If we represent the rotation by a vector normal to the plane then we can write the new radius vector as ##\vec r'=\vec r+\vec r\times\vec{d\theta}##.
Jigyasa said:
grad(Φ)
No, grad is an entirely different beast. If you see grad(φ) written then almost surely the φ is very different too. It would be a scalar potential as a function of position, ##\phi=\phi(\vec r)##. grad(φ) would be the vector formed by the partial derivatives of φ along the different coordinates.

haruspex said:
That is only valid for small rotations. For example, consider a radius vector length r in the plane and subjecting it to a small rotation dθ. The endpoint moves by rdθ at right angles to the radius vector. If we represent the rotation by a vector normal to the plane then we can write the new radius vector as ##\vec r'=\vec r+\vec r\times\vec{d\theta}##.

No, grad is an entirely different beast. If you see grad(φ) written then almost surely the φ is very different too. It would be a scalar potential as a function of position, ##\phi=\phi(\vec r)##. grad(φ) would be the vector formed by the partial derivatives of φ along the different coordinates.

How do you take the direction of dθ

I understand till the equation is in magnitude form. To convert it into vector form, I need to write dθ as a vector and then take its cross product with A

Jigyasa said:
How do you take the direction of dθ
A rotation can be represented by a vector with magnitude proportional to the extent of rotation and direction indicating the axis. It is not very useful for large rotations, but normally only used with infinitesimal ones and, thus, for derivatives - angular velocity and angular acceleration.
A convention is needed to decide which way along the axis the vector points. As far as I know, the right-hand rule is universal. If in your view of the rotation it is clockwise then the vector points away from you. This convention requires a corresponding convention for the cross product and the equations involved. E.g. tangential velocity is ##\vec r\times\vec \omega##, not the other way around.

Understood. Thanks a lot :)

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. How is a vector affected by rotation of the coordinate frame?

A vector's magnitude and direction remain the same when the coordinate frame is rotated. However, the coordinates of the vector will change based on the angle of rotation.

3. What is a coordinate frame?

A coordinate frame is a system used to define the position and orientation of objects in space. It consists of a set of axes that intersect at a point called the origin.

4. Why is it important to understand change in a vector upon rotation of the coordinate frame?

Understanding how a vector changes when the coordinate frame is rotated is important in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows for accurate calculations and predictions of the behavior of objects in 3-dimensional space.

5. How is the rotation of a vector represented mathematically?

The rotation of a vector can be represented using matrices or quaternions. These mathematical representations allow for efficient and precise calculations of the new coordinates of the vector after rotation.