Change in accessible states relating to change in energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
leroyjenkens
Messages
621
Reaction score
49

Homework Statement


A certain system has 6 × 10^24 degrees of freedom. Its internal energy
increases by 1%. By what factor does the number of accessible states increase?

Homework Equations


[tex]\Omega = E^{N\nu/2}[/tex]
[itex]\nu[/itex] is the degrees of freedom, and N is just 1, so we can ignore that. So the exponent is just 3x10^24
[itex]\Omega[/itex] is the number of accessible states.

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
First I replaced E with 10. And then E increased by 1% would be 10.1.
What I was going to try to do was divide 10.1^(6x10^24) by 10^(6x10^24) to get my answer. But no calculator in the world can do that.
So I used a calculator that can do big numbers (but not quite that big). I found that as I increased the 0's in the exponent, the exponent of my answer increased by some seemingly random number. I tried 10.1^(300)/10^(300) and then 10.1^(3000)/10^(3000), and then kept adding zeroes like that to see what kind of pattern I got.
What I got was, as I got up to 10 zeroes, was an answer of 3x10^(129641213). If I take away a zero from the exponents in the fraction, then I just lose an exponent in the answer. So if I had 24 zeroes in my exponents in my fraction, then the answer would be roughly 3x10^(1.29x10^22).

But this can't be the way to do this problem. Anyone have an alternative idea on how to solve this? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking logarithms on both sides: the desired ratio is ##\Omega '/\Omega = \exp ...##