Change in gravitational field strength

In summary: Nope. You need to do the work, leslie. We don't do your homework for you. You wouldn't be learning if we showed you the relevant equations and set everything up for you.
leslie1016

Homework Statement

The tallest spot on Earth is Mt. Everest. But another well-known mountain is the Mont Blanc, European Alps, which is 4807 m above sea level. If the radius of the Earth to sea level is 6367 km, how much does the gravitational field strength change between the sea level value at that location (9.826 N/kg) and the top of the Mont Blanc?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to begin. :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
leslie1016 said:

Homework Statement

The tallest spot on Earth is Mt. Everest. But another well-known mountain is the Mont Blanc, European Alps, which is 4807 m above sea level. If the radius of the Earth to sea level is 6367 km, how much does the gravitational field strength change between the sea level value at that location (9.826 N/kg) and the top of the Mont Blanc?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to begin. :-(

What is the equation for the force of gravity, in terms of the mass of the Earth, the mass of whatever you're weighing, and the distance between the two centers of mass? It has a big "G" constant in it as well...

I have no idea. I am supposed to be in an introductory course and it doesn't seem to be that way. On top of that it's an online course.

Thank you! But, I'm still confused. How do I set it up? Once I get it setup I can solve it.

leslie1016 said:
Thank you! But, I'm still confused. How do I set it up? Once I get it setup I can solve it.

Nope. You need to do the work, leslie. We don't do your homework for you. You wouldn't be learning if we showed you the relevant equations and set everything up for you.

Re-read the question, and read the link that I provided, and think through how you can use that equation for this problem. Show us your work and we can try to help more.

1. What is gravitational field strength?

Gravitational field strength is a measure of the force of gravity in a specific location. It is defined as the force per unit mass that a test object would experience in that location.

2. How does gravitational field strength change?

Gravitational field strength can change due to several factors, including the mass and distance of objects in the field, as well as the presence of other forces such as acceleration or rotation.

3. What are the units of gravitational field strength?

The SI unit of gravitational field strength is Newtons per kilogram (N/kg). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as meters per second squared (m/s^2) or pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How does change in gravitational field strength affect objects?

Objects experience a change in gravitational field strength as they move through different locations in a gravitational field. This change can result in a change in the object's weight and acceleration.

5. Can gravitational field strength be negative?

No, gravitational field strength cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as gravity is always an attractive force between objects.