1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in gravitational field strength

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The tallest spot on Earth is Mt. Everest. But another well-known mountain is the Mont Blanc, European Alps, which is 4807 m above sea level. If the radius of the earth to sea level is 6367 km, how much does the gravitational field strength change between the sea level value at that location (9.826 N/kg) and the top of the Mont Blanc?

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know how to begin. :-(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the equation for the force of gravity, in terms of the mass of the Earth, the mass of whatever you're weighing, and the distance between the two centers of mass? It has a big "G" constant in it as well....

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    I have no idea. I am supposed to be in an introductory course and it doesn't seem to be that way. On top of that it's an online course.

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4

berkeman

6. Mar 15, 2009 #5
    Thank you! But, I'm still confused. How do I set it up? Once I get it setup I can solve it.

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6

berkeman

Nope. You need to do the work, leslie. We don't do your homework for you. You wouldn't be learning if we showed you the relevant equations and set everything up for you.

Re-read the question, and read the link that I provided, and think through how you can use that equation for this problem. Show us your work and we can try to help more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook