Strength of magnetic field required to balance gravitational force

• Thread starter astru025
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A particle with charge q = 4.00 10-6 C and mass m = 1.30 10-4 kg is moving parallel to the Earth's surface at a speed of 1000 m/s. What minimum strength of magnetic field would be required to balance the gravitational force on the particle?

Homework Equations

Not sure where to begin... Any help would be really nice!! Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Begin by looking at the equations for force due to a magnetic field and force due to gravity.

try [itex] vB=mg [/itex]!

Curious3141
Homework Helper
try [itex] vB=mg [/itex]!

This is not even dimensionally consistent. Perhaps you ment ##Bqv = mg##. But as a general rule, I've found that just throwing equations at the OP before it's clear he/she understands the underlying concepts is a bad idea.

Curious3141
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A particle with charge q = 4.00 10-6 C and mass m = 1.30 10-4 kg is moving parallel to the Earth's surface at a speed of 1000 m/s. What minimum strength of magnetic field would be required to balance the gravitational force on the particle?

Homework Equations

Not sure where to begin... Any help would be really nice!! Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

Forum policy is that you have to show some effort. Start with xophergrunge's suggestion. Then write down any equations you think might be helpful.

This is not even dimensionally consistent. Perhaps you ment ##Bqv = mg##. But as a general rule, I've found that just throwing equations at the OP before it's clear he/she understands the underlying concepts is a bad idea.

Yeah sorry,I forgot the q.
But if s\he's given a problem like that,it means s\he was given the equation and its meaning before!

Curious3141
Homework Helper
Yeah sorry,I forgot the q.
But if s\he's given a problem like that,it means s\he was given the equation and its meaning before!

And if that's the case, s\he can at least make a start on solving the problem and show us what s\he has done!