Change in orbit due to moment of inertia change?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
DrBwts
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi,

So recently I read about the massive 3 gorges dam changing the mass moment of inertia of the Earth to such an extent that the days will now be 60ns longer.

Then I thought, how will this effect the orbit of the Earth about the Sun?

Any thoughts?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! A whole 60 ns longer each day! Man, I can catch some additional zzzs every morning!

I wouldn't worry about any orbital changes w.r.t. the Earth's movement about the sun.

BTW, in 60 ns, a beam of light travels about 18 meters.

It would also take over 160 million years to add an additional HOUR to each day.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
DrBwts said:
Then I thought, how will this effect the orbit of the Earth about the Sun?
It won't. It hasn't changed the Earth's mass one iota, nor has it changed the distance between the Earth's center of mass and the Sun.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
what about tidal locking effects between the Earth and the sun? I guess it is negligibly small, since the size of the Earth and sun is very small compared to the distance between them.