1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in the internal energy of an isobaric process

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylinder contains 0.250mol of carbon dioxide (CO2) gas at a temperature of 27.0∘C. The cylinder is provided with a frictionless piston, which maintains a constant pressure of 1.00atm on the gas. The gas is heated until its temperature increases to 127.0∘C. Assume that the CO2 may be treated as an ideal gas.

2. Relevant equations
    ΔU = ΔQ -W

ΔU = C_v*n*ΔT

3. The attempt at a solution
    In this case, I thought that ΔU could be set equal to (5/2)nRΔT since we know all of those variables. The value I got for that was ΔU = 520J, but that isn't the correct answer. Any help in explaining where I am going wrong would be appreciated greatly!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2
    Did you look up the value of Cv on line or in the literature?

4. Sep 18, 2016 #3
    Whoops, to answer that, I did. The value I looked up however was not in units of moles, so I got the wrong answer. Found a value of Cv in moles and got the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted