Change of Basis Matrices for R2[x] with B and B

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
masp3
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
consider the basis B={1,x,x^2} and B'={1,1-x,x^2-4x+2} for R2[x]. Find the change of basis matricses [id]B'toB and [id]BtoB'

Really stuck on this! anyone can help me please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done to start with? What do you know about writing linear transformations as matrices to begin with?

One of the things you will need to do is write the vectors in basis B as linear combinations of the vectors in base B'. Can you do that?
 
I have done nothing to start with and don't know what to do as I missed this part of the course!
 
Then you should not be doing this problem until you have talked to your teacher or at least reviewed this in your textbook.
 
Firstly do you know what does "change of basis" mean in the first place? I found something online which you may want to read through:
http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/changebasis/