Change of flux in an L-R circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
arnab321
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


attachment.php?attachmentid=44283&stc=1&d=1329996280.jpg


Homework Equations



afaik, flux in inductor = Li.
at t=0, current through L is 0. so change of flux = LΔi = L(i-0)=Li

The Attempt at a Solution




at t=∞, i through cap. is 0.

so,
attachment.php?attachmentid=44282&stc=1&d=1329996286.jpg


i get the following equations:
5(i1+i2)=20
5(i1+i2)+ 5i2=10

i get i2=-2 and i1 = 6
i through indctor = i1+i2 = 4

so, flux=Li= 0.5*4=2


book's ans. is different.
 
Attachments
  • diag.jpg
    diag.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 513
  • Scan10001.jpg
    Scan10001.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
You did everything right except for assuming the current through the inductor is 0 right before the switch is closed.
 
vela said:
You did everything right except for assuming the current through the inductor is 0 right before the switch is closed.

Well, um... Current through inductor is i=i0(1-e^(-t/tau)). Putting t=0 in the equation, I get i=0.
 
That equation only applies to a simple LR circuit with the initial condition i(0-)=0. That's not what you have here.
 
vela said:
That equation only applies to a simple LR circuit with the initial condition i(0-)=0. That's not what you have here.

edit: oh I'm sorry I didn't see the battery there before the switch is closed.

I got the ans. 1.5.
 
That's not entirely accurate. At steady state, a capacitor acts like an open circuit, and an inductor, like a short circuit. I wouldn't say, however, the opposite is true at the beginning of a transient.

So suppose the switch has been open a long time before t=0. You replace the inductor with a short. What's the current flowing through the upper-left resistor? That will be the initial current through the inductor.