Change of Variables for Elliptic Integral

In summary: However, I did not miss any terms. I have no idea how I got 31.In summary, the conversation discusses how to reduce a given differential equation to a simpler form using a substitution of dependent variable and a scaling change of variables. The process involves using the product rule and choosing appropriate values for the parameters introduced in the change of variables. The final simplified equation can be further reduced by choosing a value for another parameter.
McCoy13

Homework Statement

Given the differential equation

[tex]u_{xx}+3u_{yy}-2u_{x}+24u_{y}+5u=0[/tex]

use the substitution of dependent variable

[tex]u=ve^{ \alpha x + \beta y}[/tex]

and a scaling change of variables

[tex]y'= \gamma y[/tex]

to reduce the differential equation to

[tex]v_{xx}+v_{yy}+cv=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

I have no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a direct substitution of both variables:

[tex]u_{x}=\alpha ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]
[tex]u_{xx}=\alpha^{2}ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]
[tex]u_{y}=\beta ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]
[tex]u_{yy}=\beta^{2} ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]

Plugging in this gives

[tex]\alpha^{2} ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}+3\beta^{2}ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}-2\alpha ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}+24\beta ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}+5ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]

You can obviously factor out [itex]ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/itex], but that doesn't really do much for you. I also tried doing this with the y' substitution. It also occurred to me that since v is probably supposed to be understood as v(x,y), I tried this set of substitutions:

[tex]u_{x}=\alpha ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}+v_{x}e^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]
[tex]u_{xx}=\alpha^{2} ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}+\alpha v_{x}e^{\alpha x+\beta y}+v_{xx}e^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]
[tex]u_{x}=\beta ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}+v_{y}e^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]
[tex]u_{xx}=\beta^{2} ve^{\alpha x+\beta y}+\beta v_{y}e^{\alpha x+\beta y}+v_{yy}e^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/tex]

None of these attempts gave me any insight into the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to treat [itex]v[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] and use the product rule to differentiate [itex]u(x,y)=v(x,y)e^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/itex].

Also, your [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] isn't displaying properly because you aren't puuting spaces between \alpha and x (or \beta and y )

gabbagabbahey said:
You need to treat [itex]v[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] and use the product rule to differentiate [itex]u(x,y)=v(x,y)e^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/itex].

Also, your [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] isn't displaying properly because you aren't puuting spaces between \alpha and x (or \beta and y )

I fixed the LaTeX and (hopefully now that it's displaying correctly), you'll see that I used the product rule at the bottom of my attempted solution. However, it is non-obvious to me how making this correction by using the product rule helps me. I will have lots of first order partial derivatives floating around that are not in the desired equation.

McCoy13 said:
However, it is non-obvious to me how making this correction by using the product rule helps me. I will have lots of first order partial derivatives floating around that are not in the desired equation.

You'll end up with a bunch of terms involving [itex]v[/itex] and its partial derivatives, all multyiplied by [itex]e^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/itex], which you can factor out of your DE (since it is never zero, getting rid of this factor doesn't exclude any solutions)... giving you a different DE for [itex]v[/itex]...one that you can simplify by choosing nice values for [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex].

Give it a shot and post your attempt.

gabbagabbahey said:
You'll end up with a bunch of terms involving [itex]v[/itex] and its partial derivatives, all multyiplied by [itex]e^{\alpha x+\beta y}[/itex], which you can factor out of your DE (since it is never zero, getting rid of this factor doesn't exclude any solutions)... giving you a different DE for [itex]v[/itex]...one that you can simplify by choosing nice values for [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex].

Give it a shot and post your attempt.

Haha, it did not occur to me to simply pick alpha and beta, even though they are arbitrary parameters introduced in the change of variables.

I ended up with [itex]v_{xx}+3v_{yy}-31v[/itex], and I'm assuming you can take care of the factor of 3 in front of [itex]3v_{yy}[/itex] by simply correctly setting [itex]\gamma[/itex] when you substitute in y'.

McCoy13 said:
Haha, it did not occur to me to simply pick alpha and beta, even though they are arbitrary parameters introduced in the change of variables.

I ended up with [itex]v_{xx}+3v_{yy}-31v[/itex], and I'm assuming you can take care of the factor of 3 in front of [itex]3v_{yy}[/itex] by simply correctly setting [itex]\gamma[/itex] when you substitute in y'.

I think the factor of -31 might be a little off (my back of envelope calc gave me a factor of -49), so you'll probably want to double check that. But otherwise, yes...can you see what value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] will get rid of the factor of 3?

I used [itex]\gamma = \sqrt{3}[/itex]. This is correct? If not, perhaps [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex].

McCoy13 said:
I used [itex]\gamma = \sqrt{3}[/itex]. This is correct? If not, perhaps [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex].

You tell me...the chain rule tells you that [itex]v_y(x,y'(y))=\frac{dy'}{dy}v_{y'}[/itex], so what value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] makes [itex]v_{y'y'}=3v_{yy}[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
You tell me...the chain rule tells you that [itex]v_y(x,y'(y))=\frac{dy'}{dy}v_{y'}[/itex], so what value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] makes [itex]v_{y'y'}=3v_{yy}[/itex]?

[tex]\frac{d^{2}y'}{dy^{2}}v_{y'}+\frac{dy'}{dy}v_{y'y'}=v_{yy}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d^{2}y'}{dy^{2}}=0 \Rightarrow \gamma v_{y'y'}=v_{yy}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma = 1/3[/tex]

McCoy13 said:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}y'}{dy^{2}}v_{y'}+\frac{dy'}{dy}v_{y'y'}=v_{yy}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d^{2}y'}{dy^{2}}=0 \Rightarrow \gamma v_{y'y'}=v_{yy}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma = 1/3[/tex]

Ermm... shouldn't you have

[tex]v_{yy}=\left(\frac{dy'}{dy}\right)^2v_{y'y'}[/tex]

??:wink:

Yes, I should. Forgot to apply chain rule while using product rule. Bah! Thanks for all the help.

Also, I rechecked the 31, and I got it right unless I made a mistake in my substitution or if I missed a term while I was gathering terms. I'll double check it from the start before I hand it in.

EDIT: Upon reviewing the work, 49 is the correct number, not 31.

Last edited:

1. What is a change of variables for elliptic integral?

A change of variables for elliptic integral is a mathematical technique used to simplify or solve integrals involving elliptic functions. It involves substituting a new variable into the integral to transform it into a simpler form.

2. Why is a change of variables necessary for solving elliptic integrals?

Elliptic integrals are notoriously difficult to solve because they involve complex functions such as elliptic functions and theta functions. A change of variables allows us to transform the integral into a simpler form that is easier to solve.

3. What are the common variables used in a change of variables for elliptic integrals?

The most commonly used variables in a change of variables for elliptic integrals are the Weierstrass elliptic function, the Jacobi elliptic functions, and the theta functions. These functions are used to transform the integral into a more manageable form.

4. How does a change of variables affect the limits of integration in elliptic integrals?

When performing a change of variables, the limits of integration may also need to be adjusted to account for the new variable. This is necessary to ensure that the integral is still being evaluated over the same region.

5. Are there any limitations to using a change of variables for elliptic integrals?

While a change of variables can greatly simplify the solution of elliptic integrals, it is not always possible to find a suitable substitution. In some cases, the integral may become more complex or even impossible to solve after the substitution is made.