Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variables in an integral

1. Jul 10, 2015 #1
    This is not really a homework or anything, just found myself hitting a wall when doodling around.
    If I have an integral like

##\int_{-1}^{0} x(x^2-1) dx##

and I introduce a new variable:
    ##u = x^2##
    How do I calculate the limits of the new integral? In this case the upper limit is obviously 0, but what about the lower limit?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2015 #2
    For the lower limit you plug in -1 in that u=x^2 and so you have u=1... same thing for the upper limit. Of course you don't necessarily have to change the variable for this integral......

4. Jul 10, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When x= -1, u= (-1)2= 1, of course. If it bothers you that the lower limit of integration is larger than the upper limit just use the fact that [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx= -\int_b^a f(x)dx[/itex].

5. Jul 10, 2015 #4
    Argh, that was a brain fart.. But what about a case where
    ##\int_{-1}^{0} x dx##
    and I make a change of variables like:
    ##u^2 = x##
    Does the lower limit become a complex number?

6. Jul 11, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, and, in fact, you would have to consider the case of u= i and u= -i separately. Further you would have to consider that in the complex numbers there are an infinite number of paths between i and 0 or between -i and 0! Not every substitution is a good idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook