Changing bounds of integration of a double integral

In summary, yopy tried doing x^2 to 1 for y and then 0 to 1 for x, but it didn't work out. Mark figured it out and it was just the area above the parabola y = x2.
yopy
2rhtsom.jpg

Picture of the problem is listed above. I'm not sure how to switch the bounds of integration on it. Anyone here know how to go about this?

i tried doing it x^2 to 1 for y and then 0 to 1 for x but it didnt work out to be the write answer, the write answer after putting it in your calculator is about .40 ish

Normally when i do these kinds of problems i draw the bounds out, but I am not sure how these current bounds would even look.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yopy! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
yopy said:
i tried doing it x^2 to 1 for y and then 0 to 1 for x but it didnt work out to be the write answer …

Well, that looks right to me …

it's just the area above the parabola y = x2

show us what you got.

i figured it out, the bounds turn into 0 to x^2 for respect to Y, and then 0 to 1 for respect to X

my problem was drawing the region they were integrating over. I got the right answer though, thanks.

tiny-tim said:
Hi yopy! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Well, that looks right to me …

it's just the area above the parabola y = x2
I don't think so. The limits of integration in the original problem indicate that the region is to the right of the parabola, not above it. The region is bounded by the parabola, the x-axis, and the line x = 1. Yopy's revised limits of integration describe this region.

oops!

Mark44 said:
I don't think so. The limits of integration in the original problem indicate that the region is to the right of the parabola, not above it. The region is bounded by the parabola, the x-axis, and the line x = 1. Yopy's revised limits of integration describe this region.

oops! :redface: i should have drawn it! :rolleyes:

thanks Mark! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of changing the bounds of integration in a double integral?

Changing the bounds of integration in a double integral allows you to integrate over non-rectangular regions, making it easier to solve complex problems. It also allows you to switch between Cartesian and polar coordinate systems.

2. How do you determine the new bounds of integration when changing coordinates in a double integral?

The new bounds of integration can be determined by setting up the appropriate equations for the new coordinate system and solving for the corresponding limits. For example, in polar coordinates, the bounds for r would be determined by the region of integration and the bounds for θ would depend on the geometry of the region.

3. Can the bounds of integration be changed for any type of double integral?

Yes, the bounds of integration can be changed for any type of double integral, including definite and indefinite integrals. However, it is important to ensure that the new bounds correspond to the same region of integration in both coordinate systems.

4. What are the benefits of using a change of coordinates in a double integral?

Using a change of coordinates can simplify the integration process, especially for complex regions of integration. It can also lead to more elegant solutions and provide insight into the geometry of the problem.

5. Are there any limitations to changing the bounds of integration in a double integral?

One limitation is that the new coordinate system must be appropriate for the region of integration. For example, using polar coordinates for a rectangular region may not yield the most efficient solution. Additionally, some regions may require multiple changes of coordinates to fully simplify the problem.