1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing derivative inside an integral

1. Apr 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello.

My teacher did something on the blackboard today that I really didn't figure out how was done.

He took this equation:
    [tex]{{\mathcal{L}}^{\,\left( \alpha \right)}}=\frac{2{{e}^{2}}\tau }{m}\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }{g\left( \varepsilon \right)\varepsilon {{\left( \varepsilon -\mu \right)}^{\alpha }}\left( -\frac{\partial f}{\partial \varepsilon } \right)d\varepsilon }[/tex]
    And then made a change into:
    [tex]{{\mathcal{L}}^{\,\left( \alpha \right)}}=\frac{2{{e}^{2}}\tau }{m}\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }{\overbrace{\frac{\partial }{\partial \varepsilon }\left( g\left( \varepsilon \right)\varepsilon {{\left( \varepsilon -\mu \right)}^{\alpha }} \right)}^{H\left( \varepsilon \right)}f\left( \varepsilon \right)d\varepsilon }[/tex]
    So he was able to use it in the Sommerfeld expansion.

But I don't know how he was able to change from the derivative of f (The fermi function) to that not being derived but the other expression.

So I was kinda hoping someone could help me figure this out :)

Thanks in advance.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He just did integration by parts, and the boundary terms were zero

4. Apr 30, 2013 #3
    That seems fair :)

Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted