Characteristic method + Jacobian

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the method of characteristics to solve a first-order, semi-linear PDE. The question is raised about the significance of a Jacobian being equal to zero, and whether it implies the non-existence or non-uniqueness of the solution. The initial condition is also mentioned, and it is noted that the characteristic curve is colinear with the initial condition, making it impossible to construct a solution. The speaker promises to further consider the problem and provide more information.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If I am using the method of characteristics to solve a PDE [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] (first order, semi-linear), and after using the method of characteristics I find that the Jacobian
[tex]|\frac{\partial{(x,t)}}{\partial{(\sigma,\eta)}}| = 0[/tex]
(where [tex]\sigma[/tex] and [tex]\eta[/tex] are parameters for the curve) does this imply that no solution exists, or just that the solution is not unique? I could not find this in my textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post the problem please?

Sure.

[tex]x\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial{x}} + t\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial{t}} + (x + 2t)\psi = 3xt \textnormal{ With intitial Condition:} \psi (x,4x)=x[/tex]

This leads me to:

[tex]
x(\sigma,\eta) = \eta e^{\sigma}[/tex]
[tex]
t(\sigma,\eta) = 4\eta e^{\sigma}[/tex]

(I can fill in those steps if necessary too)

No, that won't be necesary. The problem is that your initial contidion is over a characteristic, and you can't construct a solution. Remember that the method of characteristics uses the initial condition as curve of departure (parametrized by [itex]\eta[/itex]) and then tries to move further from it as far as the ode system allows it (parametrized by [itex]\sigma[/itex]). In your case, this can't be done, as the characteristic is colinear with the initial condition, which means the normal vector for the parametrized surface is zero (so the surface is not well defined).

Let me give it a little more tought, and i'll get back to you.

Last edited:

1. What is the characteristic method in mathematics?

The characteristic method is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations. It involves finding a set of curves, known as characteristics, that satisfy the equation and using them to reduce the equation to a simpler form.

2. What is the purpose of using the characteristic method?

The characteristic method is used to transform a partial differential equation into a set of ordinary differential equations. This simplifies the problem and makes it easier to solve.

3. What is the role of the Jacobian in the characteristic method?

The Jacobian is a matrix of partial derivatives that is used to determine the characteristics of the equation. It is used to transform the equation into a new coordinate system, making it easier to solve.

4. How is the Jacobian matrix calculated?

The Jacobian matrix is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of each variable with respect to all other variables in the equation. The resulting matrix is then used to transform the equation into a new coordinate system.

5. What are some applications of the characteristic method and Jacobian in science?

The characteristic method and Jacobian have many applications in science, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and heat transfer. They are also used in fields such as economics, meteorology, and geology to model complex systems and phenomena.