Charge 18650 with BCAP0050 2.7V 50F is possible?

• Thread starter fer344
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary: I am not sure what Ah is.Ah is the SI unit of electricity. It is named after William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin, who developed the modern concept of the Kelvin scale. 1 Ah is equal to 1000 W.
fer344
Can I put a resistor and control discharge of BCAP0050 2.7V 50F in order to charge 18650 battery?

Engineering news on Phys.org
fer344 said:
Can I put a resistor and control discharge of BCAP0050 2.7V 50F in order to charge 18650 battery?
Welcome to the PF.

It helps others a lot if you define your terms better so we don't have to go searching for them to decode your post. It looks like you want to use a 2.7V capacitor to charge a single Lithium Ion battery cell. Is that right?

First, you did not say what voltage your capacitor will be charged to. If it is rated at 2.7V, you need to stay below that voltage by some margin, or you can damage the capacitor.

Second, you would not use a voltage dropping resistor in a battery charging circuit. That is just too wasteful of the energy. You would use a DC-DC switching voltage regulator to transform the source voltage to the battery charging voltage.

Finally, as we know from many recent battery fires, charging a Lithium Ion battery is not something to be done by amateurs.

What is the application?

The charged capacitor will be full at 2.7V, while the empty battery will be at 3.3V (in case it is a standard Li-Ion cell). So whatever you do, the current will flow backward, from the battery to the capacitor if connected with a resistor.It'll overload the cap in no time.

The energy stored in the capacitor is around 180Joule, the energy stored in one 18650 cell is ~ 30kJoule (I hope I did the math right). Less than 1%. Even if you can push all the juice in the capacitor into the battery (you can't, and even partial discharge will require complicated electronics due the voltage difference) it won't do much.

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
Rive said:
The charged capacitor will be full at 2.7V, while the empty battery will be at 3.3V (in case it is a standard Li-Ion cell). So whatever you do, the current will flow backward, from the battery to the capacitor if connected with a resistor.It'll overload the cap in no time.

The energy stored in the capacitor is around 180Joule, the energy stored in one 18650 cell is ~ 30kJoule (I hope I did the math right). Less than 1%. Even if you can push all the juice in the capacitor into the battery (you can't, and even partial discharge will require complicated electronics due the voltage difference) it won't do much.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

It helps others a lot if you define your terms better so we don't have to go searching for them to decode your post. It looks like you want to use a 2.7V capacitor to charge a single Lithium Ion battery cell. Is that right?

First, you did not say what voltage your capacitor will be charged to. If it is rated at 2.7V, you need to stay below that voltage by some margin, or you can damage the capacitor.

Second, you would not use a voltage dropping resistor in a battery charging circuit. That is just too wasteful of the energy. You would use a DC-DC switching voltage regulator to transform the source voltage to the battery charging voltage.

Finally, as we know from many recent battery fires, charging a Lithium Ion battery is not something to be done by amateurs.

What is the application?

Thanks for response! :)

My interest is on testing batteries, want to control charge-discharge but have not enough knowledge.

fer344 said:
My interest is on testing batteries, want to control charge-discharge but have not enough knowledge.
Well, especially with Lithium Ion batteries, it would be best if you could find a local person to Mentor you in your learning about battery technology. It can be a bit dangerous to try to figure this out on your own, especially if you don't yet have an EE degree. :smile:

1. Can I charge an 18650 battery with a BCAP0050 2.7V 50F capacitor?

Yes, it is possible to charge an 18650 battery with a BCAP0050 2.7V 50F capacitor. However, it is not the most efficient or recommended method of charging and may not provide a full charge to the battery.

2. Will charging an 18650 battery with a BCAP0050 2.7V 50F capacitor damage the battery?

Charging an 18650 battery with a BCAP0050 2.7V 50F capacitor can potentially damage the battery if not done correctly. It is important to monitor the charging process and ensure that the capacitor does not overcharge the battery.

3. How long does it take to charge an 18650 battery with a BCAP0050 2.7V 50F capacitor?

The charging time for an 18650 battery with a BCAP0050 2.7V 50F capacitor will vary depending on the state of the battery and the capacitor's capacity. It is recommended to use a proper charger for the battery to ensure a full and safe charge.

4. Is it safe to charge an 18650 battery with a BCAP0050 2.7V 50F capacitor?

Charging an 18650 battery with a BCAP0050 2.7V 50F capacitor can be safe if done correctly and monitored closely. It is important to use the correct voltage and ensure the battery does not overheat during the charging process.

5. Can I use any capacitor to charge an 18650 battery?

No, not all capacitors are suitable for charging an 18650 battery. It is important to use a capacitor with the proper voltage and capacitance for the specific battery being charged. Using the wrong capacitor can result in damage to the battery or the charging equipment.