Charge of Radon Nucleus: 86 Protons -1.6x10^-19 C

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter poteat86
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Nucleus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 14K views
poteat86
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi, this problem is killing me.

What is the total charge of the radon nucleus? (The neutral radon atom has 86 electrons.)

The units is in Coulombs so I figured since they were asking for the charge of just the nucleus then it would be 86 protons times -1.6x10^-19 C. But that didn't work, I've tried every answer I can think of but it isn't working. (its like an online homework thing...i have only a few tries left and i need this answer to continue the rest) Please please help! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
oh my god, sorry i didn't see that sticky about hw. I'll post somewhere else...sorry!
 
-1.6x10^-19 C is the charge on an electron.

A proton is positively charged, and if there are 86 of them, then 86 * the charge of one proton is correct.

Be careful of + and -.