Charge through a coil in a magnetic field

In summary: So, in summary, the correct answer is approximately 24.86 μC and the angle between the normal to the coil and the magnetic field is 20º.
pc2-brazil

Homework Statement

At a certain place, the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude B = 59 μT and is inclined downward at an angle of 70º to the horizontal. A flat horizontal circular coil of wire with a radius of 13 cm has 950 turns and a total resistance of 85 Ω. It is connected to a galvanometer with 140 Ω resistance. The coil is flipped through a half revolution about a diameter, so it is again horizontal. How much charge flows through the galvanometer during the flip? (Hint: See Problem 11.)

Homework Equations

The "Problem 11" referred to in the question concludes that, if a circular loop is connected to a resistance R, this configuration is perpendicular to a magnetic field B, Φ(0) is the flux in the loop at time t = 0, and the magnetic field B varies in a continuous but not specified way, so that at time t the flux is represented by ΦB(t), then the net charge q(t) that has passed through resistor R in time t is:
[tex]q(t)=\frac{1}{R}[\Phi_B(0)-\Phi_B(t)][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If the circular coil is horizontal, and Earth's magnetic field at that point is inclined downward at an angle of 70º to the horizontal, then angle between the plane of the coil and Earth's magnetic field is 70º. So, if we adopt the normal to the plane of the coil to be downward, then the angle θ between the normal to the plane and the magnetic field is 160º. So, in its initial position, the magnetic flux through the surface of the N loops should be:
[tex]\Phi(0)=NAB\cos{160º}[/tex],
where [tex]A=\pi r^2[/tex] is the area of a loop.
Thus, [itex]\Phi(t)[/itex] would be the negative of the above, since the loop is 180º from its original inclination.
Also, I think that the resistance R is 140 Ω + 85 Ω = 225 Ω.
So, the result would be:
[tex]q(t)=\frac{1}{R}[NAB\cos{160º}-(-NAB\cos{160º})] = \frac{1}{R}[2NAB\cos{160º})][/tex]
where R = 85+140 = 225 Ω, A = 13 cm, N = 950, A = π*13² cm², B = 0.000059 T.
This gives approximately 24.86 μC.
Does this reasoning seem correct?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
pc2-brazil said:
If the circular coil is horizontal, and Earth's magnetic field at that point is inclined downward at an angle of 70º to the horizontal, then angle between the plane of the coil and Earth's magnetic field is 70º. So, if we adopt the normal to the plane of the coil to be downward, then the angle θ between the normal to the plane and the magnetic field is 160º. So, in its initial position, the magnetic flux through the surface of the N loops should be:
[tex]\Phi(0)=NAB\cos{160º}[/tex]

The question says that the magnetic field is inclined downward at an angle of 70º to the horizontal. So surely if we adopt the normal to the plane of the coil to be downward, then the angle between the normal and the magnetic field would be 30º. In other words, the normal to the coil plane is straight down, and the magnetic field is downwards, but not straight down, which is why the angle between them is less than 90º

That stuff about the angle should only cause the sign of the final answer to be different, which doesn't really matter anyway because we don't care which way the charge is going. The rest of your working looks good, I'm going to check through to see if I get the same (numerical) answer.

EDIT: Actually no, the angle does matter. If the angle is what I think it is (30º) then that will give a different answer to your 160º because cosine of these two angles will not give the same value. (The reason that I thought that only a sign change would result is because somehow I thought that 180-30=60, bad arithmetic on my part).

Last edited:
I've checked it through, and I'd say your working is good apart from I think the angle is not correct, which then affects the final answer.

Thank you for checking it.
About the angle, I think that it shouldn't matter, because, if I choose the normal to the coil to be downward instead of upward (which, I think, shouldn't matter), then the angle between the normal and B would be (90º - 70º) = 20º, and cos(20º) = -cos(160º) ≈ 0,94. So, I guess the way the charge goes through the galvanometer doesn't matter here.

Last edited:
pc2-brazil said:
Thank you for checking it.
About the angle, I think that it shouldn't matter, because, if I choose the normal to the coil to be downward instead of upward (which, I think, shouldn't matter), then the angle between the normal and B would be (90º - 70º) = 20º, and cos(20º) = -cos(160º) ≈ 0,94. So, I guess the way the charge goes through the galvanometer doesn't matter here.

Yes, you're totally right. I made another arithmetic error in thinking that 90-30=70 which is why I thought it should be 30 degrees. Sorry about that. I must have been more tired than I realized to have made two arithmetic errors that evening.

BruceW said:
Yes, you're totally right. I made another arithmetic error in thinking that 90-30=70 which is why I thought it should be 30 degrees. Sorry about that. I must have been more tired than I realized to have made two arithmetic errors that evening.
No problem, thank you for confirming it.

1. What is the concept of charge through a coil in a magnetic field?

The concept of charge through a coil in a magnetic field is based on the interaction between electric charges and magnetic fields. When an electric current is passed through a coil, a magnetic field is created around the coil. This magnetic field exerts a force on a charged particle passing through it, causing the particle to experience a change in direction or speed.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the charge passing through a coil?

The direction of the magnetic field is crucial in determining the force exerted on a charged particle passing through a coil. The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow in the coil and is determined by the right-hand rule. If the direction of the magnetic field changes, the direction of the force on the charged particle will also change.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a coil?

The strength of the magnetic field in a coil is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the material of the coil. Increasing the number of turns in the coil or the current flowing through it will increase the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, using a material with a higher magnetic permeability, such as iron, will also increase the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can charge pass through a coil without a magnetic field?

No, charge cannot pass through a coil without a magnetic field. The creation of a magnetic field is an inherent property of passing an electric current through a coil. Without a magnetic field, there would be no force exerted on the charged particle passing through the coil, and it would continue on its original path.

5. What practical applications does the concept of charge through a coil in a magnetic field have?

The concept of charge through a coil in a magnetic field has several practical applications, including electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in devices such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. Additionally, the concept is crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various fields, such as in plasma physics and astrophysics.