Charged Conducting Sheet v. Charged Non-Conducting Sheet

In summary, the electric field for a conducting plate in electrostatic equilibrium is E=σ/ε0, which is different from the electric field for a non-conducting plate, E=σ/2ε0. This is because for a conducting plate, there is necessarily an equal charge on the further surface and the electric field inside the plate is zero. The derivation for a conducting plate involves setting up a Gaussian cylinder and considering the crucial fact that the electric field inside a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium is zero. If the initial distance from the plate is large compared to the average spacing of electrons on the plate, the redistribution of charges due to the moving electron can be considered negligible. However, when the electron gets very close to the plate
Taulant Sholla
Homework Statement
An electron is shot directly toward the center of a large metal plate that has surface charge density sigma. If the initial kinetic energy of the electron is known and if the electron is to stop (due to electrostatic repulsion from the plate) just as it reaches the plate, how far from the plate must the launch point be?
Relevant Equations
E=sigma/a/epsilon_0
The solution to this problem states the electric field is E=σ/ε0. Is that because it's a conducting plate? I know for a non-conducting plate it's E=σ/2ε0. This is a Gauss' Law problem. I know how to derive for non-conducting plate. What's different with conducting plate derivation? Thank you!
problem.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Taulant Sholla said:
What's different with conducting plate derivation?
For a non-conducting plate, there need not be any other charge on it, but for a conducting plate there is necessarily an equal charge on the further surface.

One thing bothers me about this question, though: as the electron approaches the plate, the charges on the plate will redistribute.

Likes Adesh
haruspex said:
One thing bothers me about this question, though: as the electron approaches the plate, the charges on the plate will redistribute.
Strictly speaking you are right but for the level of this problem (i suspect high school or college level) we can safely consider as negligible the EM field produced by the moving electron (or just neglect the E-field in the quasi static approximation).
Does it have analytical solution if we don't neglect the EM field produced by the electron? I don't think so.

Likes Adesh
For a conducting plate in electrostatic equilibrium such as the metal one in your problem, the electric field indeed is ##\sigma /\epsilon_0##. To derive this, one crucial thing has to be considered-- the electric field inside of a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium is zero (hopefully you know the qualitative argument as to why this is!) Set up a Gaussian cylinder with surface area of the faces each being A, and have one end of the cylinder be inside the conductor and the other outside (this is the same Gaussian surface used in the non-conducting plate derivation). Using the crucial fact mentioned above, do you see where you lose that factor of 2 in the denominator of ##\sigma /2\epsilon_0##?

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
Strictly speaking you are right but for the level of this problem (i suspect high school or college level) we can safely consider as negligible the EM field produced by the moving electron (or just neglect the E-field in the quasi static approximation).
Does it have analytical solution if we don't neglect the EM field produced by the electron? I don't think so.
Yes, I'm sure it's fine as long as the initial distance from the plate is large compared with the average spacing of electrons on the plate.

haruspex said:
Yes, I'm sure it's fine as long as the initial distance from the plate is large compared with the average spacing of electrons on the plate.
i am not so sure i understand you here, can you expand?

Delta2 said:
i am not so sure i understand you here, can you expand?
Under that condition, for most of the journey of the electron towards the plate there will be very little redistribution.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Under that condition, for most of the journey of the electron towards the plate there will be very little redistribution.
Yes, but since the stopping point of the electron is just above the plate, there will be some fraction of the journey (when the electron gets very close to the plate) where the redistribution is not negligible, but yes this is a tiny fraction of the total journey of electron.

Delta2 said:
Yes, but since the stopping point of the electron is just above the plate, there will be some fraction of the journey (when the electron gets very close to the plate) where the redistribution is not negligible, but yes this is a tiny fraction of the total journey of electron.
Right, but what matters is how that compares with the initial spacing of the electrons. E.g. start with just five electrons in a square sheet. They will be one at each corner and one central. When the fired electron reaches the sheet, the fired electron will have deviated one way and the central electron another.

haruspex said:
Right, but what matters is how that compares with the initial spacing of the electrons. E.g. start with just five electrons in a square sheet. They will be one at each corner and one central. When the fired electron reaches the sheet, the fired electron will have deviated one way and the central electron another.
Yes , the way i understand it is that when the distance of the electron is big, in comparison with the inter-electron spacing in the plate, then the force from the electron will be small in comparison with the interelectron forces in the plate, hence it won't affect much the positioning of electrons in the plate.

1. What is the difference between a charged conducting sheet and a charged non-conducting sheet?

A charged conducting sheet is made of a material that allows electricity to flow through it, while a charged non-conducting sheet is made of a material that does not allow electricity to flow through it.

2. How do charged conducting sheets and charged non-conducting sheets behave differently when charged?

A charged conducting sheet will evenly distribute the charge across its surface, while a charged non-conducting sheet will have the charge concentrated at the location where it was applied.

3. Can a charged conducting sheet and a charged non-conducting sheet be used interchangeably?

No, they cannot be used interchangeably. The properties of the material used to make the sheet will affect how it behaves when charged.

4. What are some common uses for charged conducting sheets and charged non-conducting sheets?

Charged conducting sheets are often used in electronics and electrical circuits, while charged non-conducting sheets are commonly used in insulation and as barriers to prevent electrical current from passing through.

5. How do charged conducting sheets and charged non-conducting sheets affect electric fields?

A charged conducting sheet will distort the electric field lines, while a charged non-conducting sheet will not have any effect on the electric field lines.