Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged objects and the force between them?

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    I read that charge by induction precedes force of attraction between a charged body and a neutral one. That is, the nearer end of the body gets oppositely charged when a charged body is brought closer to the neutral one. Since we now have 2 oppositely charged objects (object parts) closely spaced, the force of attraction takes of place. Now my question is about a negatively charged plastic rod brought closer to a neutral plastic rod. The 2 attract each other. How is charge by induction taking place in the neutral rod. The neutral rod, being an insulator does not have free electrons - insulators do not conduct because they do not have free electrons - then, how is positve charge formed on the neutral one at the nearer end to the negatively charged plastic rod?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Charges in insulators cannot roam around freely like in conductors, but they can still shift position slightly on an atomic or molecular scale. This is enough to produce a small net imbalance of charge on a macroscopic scale.
  4. Mar 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks, I should believe it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?