A doubt on Electrostatics -- An electrified rod attracting light objects

In summary, when electrified rods are brought near light objects, they induce opposite charges on the near surfaces of the objects and similar charges move to the farther side. This means that the charges closer to the rod will be opposite to the rod's charge, while the charges on the farther side will be the same as the rod's charge. This happens because the rods create an electric field that causes the charges to move. This is known as the "electrostatic induction" phenomenon, which is explained in high school physics textbooks such as NCERT Class 12th part 1.
Rishabh Narula
"When electrified rods are brought
near light objects, a similar effect
takes place. The rods induce opposite
charges on the near surfaces of
the objects and similar charges move
to the farther side of the object."
-from a high school physics book.
NCERT Class 12th part 1 to be precise.

can someone explain this to me in
simpler english?
what exactly does farther side mean
and why are similar charges moving there?
what I'm understanding
is that the rod will attract opposite
charges to that of rod itself and thus
charges opposite to that of rod
accumulate on the near side
and charges similar to that of rod move to the side
further away from the side closer to rod.
am i getting it right?do correct if wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's the idea.

Likes vanhees71

1. How does an electrified rod attract light objects?

When an object becomes electrically charged, it creates an electric field around it. This electric field exerts a force on any other charged objects in its vicinity. In the case of an electrified rod, the electric field created by the charge on the rod will attract light objects towards it.

2. Why do light objects stick to an electrified rod?

Light objects, such as paper or small pieces of plastic, have a small amount of electric charge on them. When they come in contact with an electrified rod, the opposite charges on the rod and the object attract each other, causing the object to stick to the rod.

3. Can an electrified rod attract all types of objects?

No, an electrified rod can only attract objects that have an electric charge. Objects that are neutral, meaning they have an equal amount of positive and negative charges, will not be affected by the electric field of the rod.

4. How can I tell if an object is attracted to an electrified rod?

An easy way to tell if an object will be attracted to an electrified rod is to bring the object close to the rod and see if it moves towards it. If the object moves towards the rod, it is being attracted by the electric field. You can also test the object's charge by using an electroscope.

5. What happens if I touch an electrified rod while it is attracting light objects?

If you touch an electrified rod while it is attracting light objects, you may feel a slight electric shock. This is because the charge on the rod will transfer to your body, causing a brief flow of electricity. However, this shock is usually harmless and will not cause any serious harm.