Charged particle and Earth's magnetic field at equator question

In summary, at the equator the magnetic field created by the charged particle interacts with the Earth's magnetic field, changing the particle's speed and direction.
bmac

Homework Statement

Stumped on this one.
A charged particle hurles through space creatings its own magnetic field, if it strikes the Earth's equator, the 2 magnetic fields interact and...

a) do not affect the particles direction
b) change the particles speed but not direction
c) change the particles speed and direction
d) change the particles direction
e) bounce it back in the direction it came from.

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose b but this is wrong. so I am thinking it's c...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for replying I appreciate it.

Ok from your link after reviewing I would say...

d) change the particles direction

but I don't see how this also wouldn't affect speed as well.

I'd say that shows some understanding.

Good luck.

Yeah I am trying to understand it, a lot of this seems a little advanced for 9th grade science. Definitely not my best class.

I am going with c then, I think the fact that it was the equator confused me a little bit as far as direction goes.

bmac said:
I am going with c then, I think the fact that it was the equator confused me a little bit as far as direction goes.

This would be my thinking.

The force of the B field is the vector cross product of the field and the particle's velocity. The idea of it being at the equator is to suggest that the B field is ⊥ to its radial direction from the sun. So with B ⊥ V and hence the F ⊥ V (the vector cross product does that), I would say that the force acts to deflect the particle. Since the Force is ⊥ to the direction of motion it isn't doing any work on the particle and hence its kinetic energy remains the same.

Ok since the kinetic energy would be the same then i was right earlier with just the direction only being changed? using the right hand rule

Related to Charged particle and Earth's magnetic field at equator question

1. What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is an atom or molecule that has an excess or deficit of electrons, resulting in a positive or negative charge, respectively.

2. How does Earth's magnetic field affect charged particles at the equator?

Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield, deflecting and trapping charged particles from the solar wind at the equator. This creates the aurora borealis and aurora australis, also known as the Northern and Southern Lights.

3. Why is the equator a region of interest for studying charged particles and Earth's magnetic field?

The equator is a region of interest because it is the closest point to the Earth's magnetic field. This allows us to observe the interaction between the magnetic field and charged particles more closely.

4. How do scientists measure the effect of Earth's magnetic field on charged particles at the equator?

Scientists use instruments such as magnetometers, particle detectors, and satellites to measure the strength and direction of Earth's magnetic field and the number and energy of charged particles at the equator.

5. What are the potential impacts of charged particles and Earth's magnetic field at the equator on Earth and its inhabitants?

The interaction between charged particles and Earth's magnetic field at the equator can cause disruptions in satellite communications and power grids, as well as potentially harm astronauts and airline crews who are exposed to high levels of radiation. Furthermore, understanding this interaction can also help us better predict and prepare for space weather events that could affect our technology and daily lives.