Charged Particle Moving in Magnetic Field

In summary, the problem involves an electron accelerated through 2.4 x 105 V and entering a uniform 1.7 T magnetic field. The maximum and minimum values of the magnetic force experienced by the particle can be calculated using the equations QV = 0.5mv2 and F=QvB. The resulting velocity of the electron may be high due to the possibility of relativity being involved in the problem. Furthermore, the orientation of the magnetic field and the electron's entry with respect to that field will affect the maximum and minimum force values. When the field is parallel to the particle's velocity, the force will be at its minimum, and when the field is perpendicular, the force will be at its maximum.
Gavandeshaq
An electron is accelerated through 2.4 x 105 V from rest and then enters a uniform 1.7 T magnetic field. What are the maximum and minimum values of the magnetic force this particle
experiences?

QV = 0.5mv2
F=QvB

Basically, I've got a final value from the above equations, but I'm not sure how to get a maximum and minimum as the problem states. The first equation gives me a speed of 2.9*108
and then putting that into F=QvB gives me a force of 7.89*1011N.

Is this the maximum? Why do a maximum and minimum occur, and how do I calculate them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the problem does not state the orientation of the magnetic field or the orientation of the electron's entry with respect to that field.

(Also, the resulting velocity of the electron as calculated by "Newtonian" formulas is awfully high -- nearly 97% of the speed of light. Is this problem from a course that "does" Relativity?)

All your equations are good. But I'm not sure what you're asking. Also as gneill said you didn't state the orientation of the field, but I'm assuming that's your variable.

Fb = qv CROSS B, v and B are vectors. Meaning that the least force your particle will experience due to B is when B is parallel to v, and the most is when B is perpendicular to B.

Make sense?

Related to Charged Particle Moving in Magnetic Field

1. What is a charged particle moving in a magnetic field?

A charged particle moving in a magnetic field is a phenomenon in which a charged particle, such as an electron, experiences a force when moving through a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does a charged particle move in a magnetic field?

A charged particle moving in a magnetic field follows a curved path known as a helical trajectory. This is because the magnetic force acting on the particle causes it to continuously change direction as it moves along the field lines of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particle, and the charge of the particle. The mass of the particle also plays a role in determining the radius of its helical trajectory.

4. How is the direction of a charged particle's motion affected by a magnetic field?

The direction of a charged particle's motion is affected by the direction of the magnetic field. The particle will experience a force perpendicular to both its direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field, causing it to move in a curved path. The direction of this force can be determined using the right-hand rule.

5. What are some real-world applications of a charged particle moving in a magnetic field?

Charged particles moving in a magnetic field have several practical applications, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in devices like cathode ray tubes (CRTs) and magnetrons, which are used in televisions and microwave ovens, respectively.