Charged Particle Travelling Through Electric Field

In summary, the electric field of earth creates a downward force on a particle, but gravity causes it to be pulled down.
pdeco1

Homework Statement

A uniform electric field is non zero in a 20x10m region at the surface of the earth. Determine the direction and magnitude of the total vertical deflection of the incoming charged particle by the time it exits the region. The charged particle is traveling horizontal through the electric field which is pointing down.

q= -10^-4 C
v= 1000m/s
m= .01 kg
g= 10m/s^2

E = 500N/m downward.

Homework Equations

F= qE + mg
a = qE/m
x = vt

The Attempt at a Solution

E, given in Newtons per meter is giving me problems.

I know the horizontal velocity is unchanged due to the perpendicular forces.
Vertical velocity and displacement can be found through kinematics when E is N/C.

Physics news on Phys.org
pdeco1 said:

Homework Statement

A uniform electric field is non zero in a 20x10m region at the surface of the earth. Determine the direction and magnitude of the total vertical deflection of the incoming charged particle by the time it exits the region. The charged particle is traveling horizontal through the electric field which is pointing down.

q= -10^-4 C
v= 1000m/s
m= .01 kg
g= 10m/s^2

E = 500N/m downward.

Homework Equations

F= qE + mg
a = qE/m
x = vt
You should never write formulas without stating what the parameter represent.

The Attempt at a Solution

E, given in Newtons per meter is giving me problems. [/quote]
It certainly should! "qE" as a force only makes sense when E is in "Newtons per coulomb"
or "Newtons per electron volt". Who told you that E was in "Newtons per meter"?

I know the horizontal velocity is unchanged due to the perpendicular forces.
Vertical velocity and displacement can be found through kinematics when E is N/C.

The question states E in Newtons/meter. I emailed my professor but he has yet to get back to me.

Edit: Was a typo on the homework. It is in N/C.

I am not sure where to include gravity. Is the Force in the vertical direction (F = qE -mg) Since the electric field creates an upward force on the particle but gravity creates a downward force?

I can find the time by x/v=t

I can find the vertical acceleration by a=qE/m or do I include gravity somehow?

Then I can find the vertical displacement by: y=vt + .5at^2 with vertical velocity initial = 0?

Is the vertical deflection just y?

Last edited:
Bump!

I would love some expert input.

The particle holds a (-) charge, so the electric field force would move the particle upwards, but the gravitational force will push the particle down.

Using the formula F = qE + m(-g) the Force = -.05N, the - indicating an overall Force in the downward direction.

Using a =qE/m I found the acceleration to be 5m/s(squared)

using y= .5at^2 = .5 x 5 x 4*10^-4 = .001

Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is a charged particle travelling through an electric field?

A charged particle travelling through an electric field refers to the movement of a particle with an electric charge in the presence of an electric field. The electric field exerts a force on the charged particle, causing it to accelerate and change its direction of motion.

2. How does the electric field affect the motion of a charged particle?

The electric field exerts a force on the charged particle, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field. The magnitude and direction of the force depend on the charge of the particle, the strength of the electric field, and the angle between the electric field and the particle's velocity.

3. What is the equation for calculating the force on a charged particle in an electric field?

The force on a charged particle in an electric field can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the strength of the electric field.

4. How does the speed of a charged particle change as it travels through an electric field?

The speed of a charged particle can change as it travels through an electric field. If the electric field is constant, the particle's speed will increase or decrease depending on the direction of the field and the particle's charge. If the electric field is not constant, the particle's speed may also change due to the varying strength of the field.

5. What factors can affect the path of a charged particle travelling through an electric field?

The path of a charged particle travelling through an electric field can be affected by several factors. These include the strength and direction of the electric field, the initial velocity of the particle, the mass and charge of the particle, and any external forces acting on the particle. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the electric field can also influence the path of the particle.