1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged Particles in Electric and magnetic fields

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron, initially at rest, is accelerated through a potential diff of 15.0 kv. It is then allowed to circulate at right angles to a uniform magnetic field of strength 2.35 T.
    Calculate the electrons final speed before entering the magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations

f= eq
    f=bqv

3. The attempt at a solution

(15000)q = q(2.35)v
    (15000)= 2.35v
    v= approx. 6383
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2
    Yeah OK so what do you know about this topic?
    If I understand this correctly, the question is what will the speed of the electron be after it has been accelerated by 15kV's, if it started with v = 0.

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3
    I just edited my original post,
    to show how I worked it out before.

5. Sep 4, 2010 #4
    But how does the magnetic field have any significance? Doesn't the question ask the speed BEFORE the electron goes into the magnetic field?

6. Sep 4, 2010 #5
    But won't that leave me with insufficient info?

because I then have to calculate a with (f=ma), using the f=eq formula.
    But i will require the time that it is in the field to know it's final speed

7. Sep 4, 2010 #6
    All you need to know is the total work done on the electron (W=U*q) and and the work-theory or whatever you call it when dE = W. So this gives you the equation U*q = .5*m*v^2 - 0, where q is the charge of the electron and m is it's mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook