1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charges on an equilateral triangle

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Charges Q, Q, and q lie on the corners of an equilateral triangle with sides of length a. Charge q lies on the top corner with Q and Q on the left and right corners.

(a) What is the force on the charge q?

(b) What must q be for E to be zero half-way up the altitudeat P?

2. Relevant equations

F=(1/4πε) * (q1q2/r2)

E = (1/4πε) * (q/r2)

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) F = qQ / (4πεa2) iy

(b) Eq = q / (4πε (3/16 a2)) iy

and EQ = Q / (4πε (7/16 a2)) iy

I just wanted to know if the attempts are in proportion to the required?

Thanks alot in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that's not quite right.

You are correct that the net force is completely in the [itex] \hat \imath_y [/itex] direction. That is because the [itex] \hat \imath_x [/itex] components of each force from the Q charges cancel.

But the [itex] \hat \imath_y [/itex] force components do not lead to your answer.
    Those electric field calculations are not quite right either.

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3
    I tried to do it several times based on may understanding but for some reason I am so not able to reach to the solution. Any hint?

5. Apr 6, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Did you begin with a diagram of the triangle, labeling all sides in cluding the altitude?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=45937&stc=1&d=1333748959.gif
    If you calculate the force that one Q exerts upon q along a side a, then what is the y-component of that force? Hint: you can determine the trigonometric functions (sin, cosine) of the angle using an appropriate ratio of sides.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 6, 2012 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's start with the first part (a).

For each charge Q at the bottom, you can find the magnitude of the force from that particular charge on charge q using

[tex] \vec F = \frac{1}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac{qQ}{r_2} \hat \imath_r. [/tex]

where [itex] \hat \imath_r [/itex] points in the direction from the particular Q to q.

But the [itex] \hat \imath_r [/itex] for one charge is different from the [itex] \hat \imath_r [/itex] of the other charge, because they point in different directions. So you can't just add them simply. For each case, you need to break up [itex] \hat \imath_r [/itex] into its [itex] \hat \imath_x [/itex] and [itex] \hat \imath_y [/itex] components.

That might involve something like

[tex] F_x = F\cos \theta [/tex]
    [tex] F_y = F \sin \theta [/tex]
    (This relationship is just for example purposes, the particular relationship may depend on the particular problem/particular pair of charges).

Or if you don't want to use trigonometric functions, you can do it using the Pthagorean theorem (which works with this problem). If a is the side of an equilateral triangle, and you vertically bisect the triangle down the middle, forming two isosceles triangles, then the base of each isosceles triangles is a/2. What does Pthagorean theorem tell you about the height of the triangle relative to a?

7. Apr 7, 2012 #6
    I tried and I finally reached the solution. Thanks for all your support!!

8. Feb 20, 2014 #7
    I am working on the second part of this question and don't understand why the (7/16) is to the power of 3/2. Am I just missing something obvious?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  9. Feb 20, 2014 #8

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In order to be able to comment we'll have to see your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted