Electric field above the centre of a rectangle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
79 replies · 11K views
That my answer is unreasonable because it is greater than that of the point charge calculation
 
Physics news on Phys.org
says said:
That my answer is unreasonable because it is greater than that of the point charge calculation
Yes, there must be a mistake in your calculation for the rectangle. So, review the calculation to see if you can find an error. Could be a minor mistake somewhere.

Generally, it is a good idea to work the problem in symbols and wait until the end to plug in numbers.
 
Ez = ∫ 2kλr / (y2+r2) [ 0.10 / (y2+r2+0.102)1/2 dy

k = 8.98*109
λ = 4*10-6
r = 0.10

Ez = ∫ 7184 / (y2+0.102) [ 0.10 / (y2+0.102+0.102)1/2 dy

Ez = ∫ 718.4 / (y2+0.01)(y2+0.02)1/2 dy

Ez = 71840tan-1(7.07107y / √(50y2+1))

substituting y=0.05 into the equation

Ez = 102149.75 N/C

I think of all the steps this may have been where the error is... Ez = ∫ 718.4 / (y2+0.01)(y2+0.02)1/2
 
says said:
dEz = (kλdx / r2) z/r
Ez = 2kλz ∫ dx / (z2 + x2)3/2

where
z = √(y2+r2)

Ez = 2kλ/z[ x / (y2+r2) + x2)1/2] (bounds of integration are 0 and 0.10m)

Ez = 2kλr / (y2 + r2) [ 0.10 / ((y2+r2)+0.102)1/2]

k = 8.98*109
λ = 4.0*10-6
r = 0.10

Ez = 7184 / (y2 + 0.102) [ 0.10 / ((y2+0.102)+0.102)1/2]

Ez = [7184 / (y2 + 0.01)] [ 0.10 / ((y2+0.02)1/2]

Ez = ∫ [7184 / (y2 + 0.01)] [ 0.10 / ((y2+0.02)1/2] dy

Ez = 71840tan-1 [ 7.07107y / √(50y2+1)

Ez = 102149.75 N/C
I'm not sure, but it looks to me like you might have a mistake in plugging in the limits of y at the very end. You might check this.
 
says said:
Ez = 71840tan-1(7.07107y / √(50y2+1))
I think this is OK.

substituting y=0.05 into the equation
Did you take care of both the upper and lower limits of y?

Ez = 102149.75 N/C
I don't get this answer when using your expression above with the limits for y.
 
says said:
The limits of y are 0.05m and 0 though
Aren't the limits -0.05 m and + 0.05 m? Or did you replace the lower limit by 0 and include a factor of 2?
 
Ez = 2kλr / (y2 + r2) [ 0.10 / ((y2+r2)+0.102)1]

I replaced the lower limit with 0 and included a factor of 2. :)
 
says said:
I replaced the lower limit with 0 and included a factor of 2. :)
OK So, you would have

Ez = (2) 71840tan-1(7.07107(.05) / √(50(.05)2+1))

I don't get your answer when I evaluate this.
 
TSny said:
OK So, you would have

Ez = (2) 71840tan-1(7.07107(.05) / √(50(.05)2+1))

I don't get your answer when I evaluate this.

I get 40378 N/C. Which is more reasonable.

If I've substituted 2 into the equation earlier though:

Ez = 2kλr / (y2 + r2) [ 0.10 / ((y2+r2)+0.102)1/2]

Should I be substituting 2 into the equation:

Ez = (2) 71840tan-1(7.07107(.05) / √(50(.05)2+1))

Or just leaving it as:

71840tan-1(7.07107(.05) / √(50(.05)2+1))
 
You need to include the 2. This is the factor of 2 that comes from taking the lower limit to be 0.

Your answer of 40378 looks much better, but it is still different than what I'm getting. I get the argument of the inverse tangent function to be essentially 1/3. Do you agree?
 
says said:
Yes. It's ~0.28
I'm getting 0.3333, not 0.28.
 
7.07107(.05) / √(50(.05)2+1)

0.3535535 / 1.125 = 0.3142

Closer. I'm not sure what happened with my first calculation...
 
says said:
7.07107(.05) / √(50(.05)2+1)

0.3535535 / 1.125 = 0.3142

Closer. I'm not sure what happened with my first calculation...
The 1.125 is under a square root.
 
says said:
If I've substituted 2 into the equation earlier though:

Ez = 2kλr / (y2 + r2) [ 0.10 / ((y2+r2)+0.102)1/2]

Should I be substituting 2 into the equation:

Ez = (2) 71840tan-1(7.07107(.05) / √(50(.05)2+1))

Or just leaving it as:

71840tan-1(7.07107(.05) / √(50(.05)2+1))
You did two integrations in which you replaced the lower limit with 0. So, overall, there will be two factors of 2.
 
OK, good.

If you are expected to round off to an appropriate number of significant figures, I'll let you think about that. But I agree with your answer now.
 
How come the E field of an infinite sheet is much larger than the answer we calculated here? This perplexes me

E = λ / 2ε0

where
λ:charge density

E = 4*10-6 / [(2)(8.85*10-12)]
E = 225988 N/C
 
says said:
How come the E field of an infinite sheet is much larger than the answer we calculated here? This perplexes me

E = λ / 2ε0

where
λ:charge density

E = 4*10-6 / [(2)(8.85*10-12)]
E = 225988 N/C
An infinite sheet at the same charge density is a lot more total charge!
OK, it's not as simple as that, but consider tiling the plane with 10cm x 20cm rectangles.
The point P is 10 cm from the sheet, and the centres of the next rectangles are, in one direction, only 40% further away. As you add in more surrounding tiles, is it that surprising that the total Ez field gets up to nearly 5 times as much?