1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check if a scalar is an eigenvalue of a matrix

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a matrix Anxn (different than the identity matrix I) and a scalar λ=1. We want to check if λ is an eigenvalue of A.

2. Relevant equations
    As we know, in order for λ to be an eigenvalue of A, there has to be a non-zero vector v, such that Avv

3. The attempt at a solution
    Avv
    Av=1v
    Av=v
    A=I

But we know that A is different than I, so λ is not an eigenvalue of A.
    Is my attempt right?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your last equation is nonsense. From Av = v you cannot conclude that A = I. All you can conclude is that v must be a solution of the homogeneous linear system (A-I)v = 0.

RGV

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In particular, the only operations defined on a vector space are addition of vectors and multiplication or division by a scalar. You cannot "divide both sides" by a vector.

(If Av=Bv for all vectors, v, then you can conclude that A= B. But not if Av= Bv for some vector, v.)

5. Jun 13, 2012 #4
    In other words, you can't divide both sides of the equation by the vector [itex]v[/itex]. Linear operators like [itex]\underline A[/itex] may be written down using matrices and said to operate on vectors through matrix multiplication, but what's really going on is that [itex]A[/itex] is a linear function, which is why trying to factor [itex]v[/itex] from both sides is nonsense.

Eigenvalues satisfy the characteristic equation that [itex]\det (\underline A - \lambda \underline I) = 0[/itex].

(PS. In particular, a linear operator acting on a vector has a general form [itex]\underline A(v) = (v\cdot e_1)a + (v \cdot e_2)b + (v \cdot e_3)c + \ldots{}[/itex] where [itex]a,b,c[/itex] are vectors. Unless you know something about the structure of the operator, dividing both sides by a vector doesn't give you anything useful.)

6. Jun 13, 2012 #5
    Thank you all for your replies.
    One last question:
    If we think of this theoretically, in the equation Av=v, there has to be a matrix A that will be multiplied by v and the result will be the same vector v. I understand that we cannot divide both parts of the equation by v, but could you please give me an example with a non-identity matrix A and a non-zero vector v that satisfy the equation Av=v?

7. Jun 13, 2012 #6
    Sure. Consider a linear operator on [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex].

[tex]\underline A(e_1) = e_1 \\
    \underline A(e_2) = -e_2 \\
    \underline A(e_3) = e_3 \\
    \underline A(e_4) = -e_4[/tex]

Any linear combination of [itex]e_1, e_3[/itex] is an eigenvector of this operator with eigenvalue 1.

8. Jun 13, 2012 #7
    Thank you!

9. Jun 13, 2012 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

$$A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}$$
    $$\lambda = 1, v = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}$$

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  10. Jun 13, 2012 #9
    Thanks!

11. Jun 15, 2012 #10
    If (A - I)v = 0, what condition needs to be satisfied in order for v not to have the trivial solution v = 0?

Chet

12. Jun 15, 2012 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If A - I is invertible, the only solution is v = 0.
    If A - I does not have an inverse, then v = 0 is still a solution, but there are also nonzero solutions.

So in both cases, v = 0 is a solution. The only difference is whether that is the unique solution or it is one of an infinite number of solutions.

You can tell whether a square matrix is invertible -- its determinant is nonzero. If an inverse does not exist, the determinant is zero.

13. Jun 15, 2012 #12
    Thanks Mark. That was the response I was trying to elicit from the OP.

Chet

14. Jun 16, 2012 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but you phrased it poorly- by leaving out a single word! You said, "If (A - I)v = 0, what condition needs to be satisfied in order for v not to have the trivial solution v = 0?"

v= 0 is, as Mark44 said, always a solution. What you meant to say was, "If (A - I)v = 0, what condition needs to be satisfied in order for v not to have only the trivial solution v = 0?"

Notice, by the way, that the "eigenvalue" question is "existence and uniqueness" turned on its head. A solution, the trivial solution, always exists for the equation [itex]Av=\lambda v[/itex]. [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue if and only if that solution is NOT unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook