1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving eigenvalues and diagonalizability

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Let A be a square matrix of order n such that A^2 = I
    a) Prove that if -1 is the only eigenvalue of A, then A= -I
    b) Prove that if 1 is the only eigenvalue of A, then A= I
    c) Prove that A is diagonalizable.

For part a and b, I consider A=-I and I then showed that the eigenvalues are -1 and 1 respectively. Is it valid by assuming A=-I and I then proving the eigenvalues are -1 and 1?
    If A=-I, Av=λv
    -v=λv
    therefore, λ=-1.

For part c, I have no clue how to even start. I did some research, and I haven't learn minimal polynomial so I can't use it to prove.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Consider the expression ##(t \cdot E_n - A) \cdot (t \cdot E_n + A)## and the zeros of the characteristic polynomial of ##A## to prove c).
    a) and b) are direct consequences of c).

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3

Mark44

No. You are proving the converse of what you're asked for. For a), assume that -1 is the only eigenvalue of A, then show that A must be -I. Same idea for b).

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4
    Av=λv
    Av=-v
    Av=-Iv
    A=-I
    Can I deduce A=-I from that?

6. Nov 12, 2015 #5
    I didn't learn anything about that in my course. Can you explain that more explicitly? I know the eigenvalue of A are -1 and 1.

7. Nov 12, 2015 #6

Mark44

You've omitted what's given, and a step or two. How do you go from equation 2 above to equation 3?

8. Nov 12, 2015 #7

fresh_42

##A## is diagonalizable iff there is a matrix ##S## so that ##S^{-1} A S = diag (λ_1, ... , λ_n)##
    ##diag (λ_1, ... , λ_n)## denotes a diagonal matrix with entries ##λ_1, ... , λ_n## on its diagonal and 0 elsewhere. ##E_n = diag(1, ... , 1)##

The characteristic polynomial ##char_A (t) ## of ##A## in ##t## is defined as ##det ( t \cdot E_n - A )##. Now
    ## char_A (t) \cdot det ( t \cdot E_n + A )##
    ##= det ( t \cdot E_n - A ) \cdot det ( t \cdot E_n + A )##
    ##= det [( t \cdot E_n - A ) \cdot ( t \cdot E_n + A )]##
    ##= det (t^2 \cdot E_n - A^2)##
    ##= det (t^2 \cdot E_n - E_n)##
    ##= (t^2 - 1)^n##
    ##= (t-1)^n (t+1)^n##

The ##λ_i## are exactly the zeros of ##char_A (t)##. The equation above shows that only ##(t ± 1)## are divisors of ##char_A (t)## and therefore all ##λ_i## must be 1 or -1, proving c) and then a) and b).

I admit there's eventually an easier way to prove this without determinant and characteristic polynomial.
    Maybe I'm too used to them that I didn't see it. Which rules about matrices are you expected to use?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  9. Nov 12, 2015 #8
    I multiply both sides by identity matrix so it IAv is still Av.

10. Nov 12, 2015 #9

Mark44

I don't believe that the OP is this far along in his/her studies.
    Try to keep your hints aligned with what the person you're attempting to help can handle.

11. Nov 12, 2015 #10

Mark44

Yes, that's clear. What I really meant was how did you go from equation 3 to equation 4?

12. Nov 12, 2015 #11
    I'm not sure whether it is right. But I compared them like coefficients.

13. Nov 12, 2015 #12

Mark44

The trouble is, that isn't guaranteed to work, when you're doing matrix multiplication. For example, it's possible for AB = 0, where neither A nor B is the zero matrix.
    For example:
    ##A = \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}## and ##B = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}##

So starting here: Av=-Iv, do you have any other ideas? You know the v is an eigenvector, right? Is there a property of eigenvectors you can use?

14. Nov 12, 2015 #13
    The only properties I know are that they are linearly independent and they form a basis for R^n.

15. Nov 12, 2015 #14

Mark44

"They" - for each problem part, you have only one eigenvector.
    Can any old vector be an eigenvector, or are there any restrictions?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  16. Nov 12, 2015 #15
    If I know that the rank(I-A) + rank(I+A) = n, then does it mean that the dimension of eigenspace of A is n, therefore there are n eigenvectors so A is diagonalizable.

17. Nov 12, 2015 #16
    Eigenvector cannot be the zero vector?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  18. Nov 12, 2015 #17

Mark44

Yes!
    OK, now starting from here -- Av = -Iv, can you get another equation and conclude that A = -I?

19. Nov 12, 2015 #18
    Another equation? (A+I)v=0?

20. Nov 12, 2015 #19

Mark44

That's what I was steering you toward. With what you know about v, and what you know about A (from post #1), why can you conclude that A + I must be the zero matrix?

Note that because of the way matrix multiplication works, it's possible for Bx = 0, with ##\vec{x} \ne \vec{0}## and B not equal to the zero matrix. For example, with ##A = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}## and ##\vec{x} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##.

21. Nov 12, 2015 #20

fresh_42

mea culpa. You're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted