Checking divergence theorem inside a cylinder and under a paraboloid

In summary: False:$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dy dx = -96 \pi$$True:$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dy dx = -48 \pi$$False:$$\int_{-2
JD_PM
Homework Statement
##v = 9y\hat{i} + 9xy\hat{j} -6z\hat{k}##
Relevant Equations
##\int_{V}\nabla \cdot v dV = \int_{S} v \cdot da##
I am checking the divergence theorem for the vector field:

$$v = 9y\hat{i} + 9xy\hat{j} -6z\hat{k}$$

The region is inside the cylinder ##x^2 + y^2 = 4## and between ##z = 0## and ##z = x^2 + y^2##

This is my set up for the integral of the derivative (##\nabla \cdot v##) over the region (volume); using cylindrical coordinates:

$$\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2} (9rcos\theta - 6)r dr d \theta dz = -96\pi$$

Now the right hand side of the divergence theorem; the value of the function at the boundary(surface; i.e. its flux):

$$\iint_{R} v \cdot n \frac{dxdz}{|n \cdot j|} = 9\int_{0}^{4} \int_{-2}^{2} (x +x\sqrt{4-x^2})dxdz + 9\int_{0}^{4} \int_{-2}^{2} (-x +x\sqrt{4-x^2})dxdz$$

Is this later integral well arranged? ##9\int_{0}^{4} \int_{-2}^{2} (x +x\sqrt{4-x^2})dxdz## is vanishing and I don't get ##-96\pi## in the right hand side.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your surface integral, specifically how you get the integrand ##v \cdot n \frac{dxdz}{|n \cdot j|}##. What area element does this represent? A cylinder has three surface areas, two faces and a side, so there are three outward normals ##\hat n## to consider. Also, I would stick to cylindrical coordinates. That makes the expressions for ##\hat n## and the area elements much easier to write down.

Also, please use vector signs where they belong.

Last edited:
Likes JD_PM
kuruman said:
A cylinder has three surface areas, two faces and a side, so there are three outward normals ##\hat n## to consider.
Indeed, I have to compute the upper tap and the base fluxes. I will work out the RHS better.

But
JD_PM said:
This is my set up for the integral of the derivative (##\nabla \cdot v##) over the region (volume); using cylindrical coordinates:

$$\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2} (9rcos\theta - 6)r dr d \theta dz = -96\pi$$

This is the LHS (the volume integral). Do you agree with the set up?

JD_PM said:
ButThis is the LHS (the volume integral). Do you agree with the set up?
No. Those limits describe a solid cylinder. Your top is a paraboloid. You might find it more natural if your inside integral was the ##dz## integral.

• Informative
Likes JD_PM
LCKurtz said:
No. Those limits describe a solid cylinder.

Absolutely, what a mistake sorry. I think this time you'll all agree. In Cartesian coordinates one gets:

$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dx dy$$

But it is nicer to work with cylindrical coordinates:

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{r^2} (9rcos \theta - 6)rdz dr d\theta$$

JD_PM said:
Absolutely, what a mistake sorry. I think this time you'll all agree. In Cartesian coordinates one gets:

$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dx dy$$

But it is nicer to work with cylindrical coordinates:

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{r^2} (9rcos \theta - 6)rdz dr d\theta$$
Not only nicer, but correct. You have a couple of errors in the rectangular version.

Likes JD_PM
LCKurtz said:
Not only nicer, but correct. You have a couple of errors in the rectangular version.

True:

$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dy dx$$

$$\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\int_{0}^{x^2 + y^2} (9x - 6) dz dy dx = -48 \pi$$

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume.

2. How is the divergence theorem used to check a cylinder?

To check the divergence theorem inside a cylinder, we first calculate the flux of the vector field through the curved surface of the cylinder. Then, we calculate the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume. If these two values are equal, the divergence theorem is satisfied and the field is considered to be divergence-free inside the cylinder.

3. What is the process for checking the divergence theorem under a paraboloid?

To check the divergence theorem under a paraboloid, we need to first calculate the flux of the vector field through the curved surface of the paraboloid. Next, we calculate the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume, which is given by the volume underneath the paraboloid. If these two values are equal, then the divergence theorem is satisfied and the field is considered to be divergence-free under the paraboloid.

4. What are some real-world applications of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem has many real-world applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. For example, in fluid dynamics, the divergence theorem is used to relate the flow of a fluid through a closed surface to the sources and sinks of the fluid within the enclosed volume. In electromagnetism, the theorem is used to calculate the electric flux through a closed surface due to a charge distribution within the enclosed volume.

5. Why is it important to check the divergence theorem inside a cylinder and under a paraboloid?

Checking the divergence theorem inside a cylinder and under a paraboloid is important because it allows us to verify the validity of the theorem and ensure that the vector field in question is divergence-free within these shapes. This is crucial in many real-world applications, as it allows us to accurately calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface and make predictions about the behavior of the field within the enclosed volume.