Checking Field Axioms for $G = F \times F$

In summary: A zero-divisor is a non-zero element $p$ of a ring $R$ with the property that there is a non-zero element $q$ of $R$ with $pq = 0$.In summary, the problem asks if the field $F$ with the operations of addition and multiplication defined on $G=F\times F$ by $(a,b)+(c,d)=(a+c,b+d)$ and $(a,b)\cdot(c,d)=(ac,bd)$ forms a field structure on $G$. The process to check associativity is explained, as well as the importance of finding suitable identity elements. The presence of zero-divisors is also mentioned as a factor to consider when determining if $G$ is a field.
Guest2
Problem: Let $F$ be a field and let $G = F \times F$. Define multiplication and addition on $G$ by setting $(a, b)+(c, d) = (a+c, b+d)$ and $(a, b) \cdot (c, d) = (ac, bd)$. Does this define a field structure on \(\displaystyle G\)?

I know field axioms but I'm unable to apply them to this problem. How do you check associativity for example?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guest said:
Problem: Let $F$ be a field and let $G = F \times F$. Define multiplication and addition on $G$ by setting $(a, b)+(c, d) = (a+c, b+d)$ and $(a, b) \cdot (c, d) = (ac, bd)$. Does this define a field structure on \(\displaystyle G\)?

I know field axioms but I'm unable to apply them to this problem. How do you check associativity for example?
To check associativity (for multiplication – use a similar process for associativity of addition), start like this: $$\bigl((a, b) \cdot (c, d)\bigr) \cdot(e,f) = (ac,bd)\cdot (e,f) = \bigl((ac)e,(bd)f\bigr).$$ Then do a similar calculation for $(a,b)\cdot \bigl((c,d) \cdot(e,f)\bigr)$, and use associativity of $F$ to conclude that the two results are the same.

You might do better to start the problem by asking what are the zero and identity elements of $F\times F$. Does each element of $F\times F$ have a negative, and does each nonzero element have an inverse?

Thank you.

Opalg said:
You might do better to start the problem by asking what are the zero and identity elements of $F\times F$. Does each element of $F\times F$ have a negative, and does each nonzero element have an inverse?
I can't find suitable identity elements. I tried (0, 0) for addition and (1, 0) for multiplication but these don't work!

Guest said:
Thank you.

I can't find suitable identity elements. I tried (0, 0) for addition and (1, 0) for multiplication but these don't work!

Try $(0,0)$ again for addition:

$(a,b) + (0,0) = (a+0,b+0) =?$

This might help for multiplication: suppose our identity (if it exists) is $(x,y)$.

Since we must have: $(a,b)(x,y) = (a,b)$, we obtain:

$ax = a$
$by = b$.

Note we can re-write these as:

$a(x - 1) = 0$
$b(y - 1) = 0$. Use the field properties for $F$, now.

As to your larger question, as to whether or not $F \times F$ with the operations indicated is a field, I suggest you consider whether or not it has any zero-divisors.

1. What are the field axioms for $G = F \times F$?

The field axioms for $G = F \times F$ are:

1. Associativity of addition: $(a,b)+(c,d) = (a+c,b+d)$
  2. Commutativity of addition: $(a,b)+(c,d) = (c,d)+(a,b)$
  3. Identity element of addition: $(a,b)+(0,0) = (a,b)$
  4. Inverse elements of addition: $(a,b)+(-a,-b) = (0,0)$
  5. Associativity of multiplication: $(a,b)\cdot(c,d) = (ac,bd)$
  6. Commutativity of multiplication: $(a,b)\cdot(c,d) = (c,d)\cdot(a,b)$
  7. Identity element of multiplication: $(a,b)\cdot(1,1) = (a,b)$
  8. Inverse elements of multiplication: $(a,b)\cdot(a^{-1},b^{-1}) = (1,1)$
  9. Distributivity: $(a,b)\cdot((c,d)+(e,f)) = (a,b)\cdot(c,d)+(a,b)\cdot(e,f)$

2. How do you check if $G = F \times F$ satisfies the field axioms?

To check if $G = F \times F$ satisfies the field axioms, you need to verify that each axiom holds true for all elements in $F \times F$. This can be done by performing the required operations on different elements of $F \times F$ and comparing the results with the expected values based on the axioms.

3. What happens if $G = F \times F$ does not satisfy the field axioms?

If $G = F \times F$ does not satisfy the field axioms, then it cannot be considered a field. This means that some of the fundamental properties of fields, such as the existence of inverses and distributivity, do not hold true for all elements in $F \times F$.

4. Can $G = F \times F$ satisfy some but not all of the field axioms?

No, $G = F \times F$ must satisfy all of the field axioms to be considered a field. The field axioms are a set of fundamental properties that define what a field is, and if any of these axioms are not satisfied, then $G = F \times F$ cannot be classified as a field.

5. Are there any other properties that $G = F \times F$ must satisfy to be considered a field?

Yes, apart from the field axioms, $G = F \times F$ must also satisfy the properties of closure, where the result of an operation on any two elements in $F \times F$ must also be an element in $F \times F$, and the property of existence of multiplicative inverses, where every element in $F \times F$ (except for 0) must have a multiplicative inverse.