Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking Windows Registry for Sound Settings

Tags:
  1. Nov 19, 2016 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    I am having trouble with my sound ( no output) and, after trying all the obvious things and more,
    I am trying to see if the registry settings (which contain initialization info for devices, among other things).
    Does anyone know how to check these settings for sound devices?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2
    Windows sound settings GUI simply edits the registry so I'm not sure what you have to gain. What Windows version and what things have you tried? Have you tried using Window's generic drivers? Is there sound level activity or no registered output (maybe speaker dead?)?

4. Nov 19, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Theres always the regedit command but without some guidance of what to look for it wont help much.

5. Nov 21, 2016 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you both. More specifically, I have Windows 8.1 and no sound output, with the error message " No sound devices are installed".
    I have gone thru the device driver and there are both input, output devices, together with the Real Tek driver. The device manager indicates, to the contrary of the message, that there are both input and output ( internal speakers) devices installed, they appear to be functioning correctly
    (when I get home I will do some screenshots and post hem here ), and the drivers have all been updated.

6. Nov 21, 2016 #5

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

If registry is not corrupted for some reason then it's almost certainly a driver issue. If you have already tried to enable the audio device and does not resolve the problem and also you cannot start the service, you must check the drivers.

7. Nov 21, 2016 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thank you, I have updated the drivers already.

8. Nov 21, 2016 #7

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

Still does not work?

9. Nov 21, 2016 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried it many times. When I get home to my PC, I will post snapshots of the error messages, see if that helps someone understand better what is going on.

10. Nov 22, 2016 #9
    Given your machine is saying that it doesn't see any audio devices at all, I'm thinking you have integrated audio and it's disabled for some reason. When integrated audio is disabled, and you have no PCI audio card installed, Windows will report that there are no audio devices on the system.

Have you checked your BIOS settings on this machine to ensure that integrated audio is enabled/turned on?

11. Nov 22, 2016 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a Screenshot:

Thanks for your comments and please let me know if you need more info.

Attached Files:

12. Nov 22, 2016 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, thanks, let me check it out.

13. Nov 22, 2016 #12

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

As I see in your attached screenshots, troubleshooting mentions "One or more audio service isn't running". That's why I said

in #5. If you tried to start the service (Realtek Audio Service - Startup Type: Automatic) and cannot be started, you may have some issue with some software recently installed, so a clean boot may be needed in order to isolate the problem.

14. Nov 23, 2016 #13

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did one very recently during a virus removal, problem remains.

15. Nov 23, 2016 #14
    Are we plugged into the correct port on the back of the computer?

There's an unknown device in your device manager. Has that always been there? If it's new, it might be related and potentially worthwhile to attempt resolving as it could be related to the sound.

16. Nov 23, 2016 #15

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you can't get a hint on which registry entry to check, the registry is a big problem. Searching that registry is a mess. I once had something that stopped working when a script called it, but it worked otherwise (double-click, command line, etc.). There are so many ways that something can be started and a different registry entry for each. I had to write a Perl script to search through the registry, looking for relevant text strings. I found the invalid entry that was used in one specific case and not in the others. Once the invalid entry was found, fixing it was trivial (it had neglected to pass parameters).

17. Nov 23, 2016 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't see it, can you please point out which?

18. Nov 23, 2016 #17

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Beyond my pay grade at this point. I wonder if I should set up a restore point and reboot like Routaran suggested.

19. Nov 23, 2016 #18
    This guy is what i'm talking about.
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/I0zRXkWv_IEQEdyHX1Ff5ajlTm3pSJj16uE1OB3PXDct17ngQ5uVwp08aEINwpMk3Wv2h1u2to8ioy4=w1122-h811
    Since we've effectively ruled out physical connection, BIOS device setting, drivers, mute, etc., maybe this missing driver has something to do with your sound issues.

This is what i'd like you to do
    Right click on your Unknown device, select properties.
    In the properties window, select the details tab.
    Change the property drop down and select Hardware Ids.
    Then right click on one of the values listed, select 'Select All' (if more than 1 item listed)
    Then right click and copy and paste those values in a post here. Then we can try to identify what device drivers your system is missing and then we can attempt to resolve it by installing the correct drivers. Hopefully the issue is related and it fixes your sound problem.
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/MXNyGpyHxYferQZRMd5TvaX9Us7XL5gMkGm5v_8Lpd9UitdDaIqyD8DoQtGVqA7uv-I5rk2ZpME-OIo=w1680-h811

20. Nov 25, 2016 #19

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  21. Nov 25, 2016 #20
    If I'm not mistaken, that's part of Visual Studio. I don't think it has anything to do with your sound issues. I'm running out of things to try....

I'm not sure if you have already tried this or not but, what about a system restore? If the issue is recent, in the last couple weeks perhaps, then maybe do a system restore to a week before the issue started.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted