1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Chemical Engineering or Chemistry?

1. May 23, 2009 #1
    I will be attending college this fall as a freshman, so I'm trying to decide on a major. My first choice of a major was chemistry because I had planned on going to medschool, but now I am also considering majoring in chemical engineering.

What are the major differences between the two? What kind of opportunities would I have in each field, meaning what kind of careers would I be most likely to enter?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2009 #2
    Chemists tend to focus on creating new chemicals and applying already existing chemicals to processes. Chemical engineers tend to focus on how to mass produce the chemical. The line is blurry though - exception definitely exist.

4. May 30, 2009 #3
    With Chemical Engineering you have a shot of getting a job out of Undergrad. If you do Chemistry, it has to be a bridge to something higher, whether that be Medschool or Grad school or what have you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook