1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Chemical potential at equlibrium

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    What is the value of chemical potential of a substance at equilibrium?
    According to following article it is zero:

https://www.uni-muenster.de/Physik....hen/Forschungsschwerpunkte/mBECwatfratcp.html

But I have seen in many articles that it is the change in chemical potential (ie. stoichimetric sum of chemical potentials) is zero, not individual chemical potentials. Could somebody clarify this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2
    What is your understanding of the mathematical definition of "chemical potential?"

4. Nov 2, 2016 #3
    I think I know the basics like, it is the derivative of internal energy at constant entropy and volume or the partial derivative Helmholtz free energy at constant temperature and volume...

5. Nov 2, 2016 #4
    The most useful version is the partial derivative of the gibbs free energy G with respect to the number of moles of a given species at constant temperature and pressure. This is the form most extensively used in chemical thermodynamics. The equilibrium criterion for a chemical reacting mixture is that the gibbs free energy is minimized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted