Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemically resistant sealing options

1. Nov 22, 2018 #1
    Does anyone have any experience with FFKM sealing solutions? I am looking for rubber seals to be used in the chemical processing industry and would need material that has high chemical resistant properties.

I've done some research online and found something called TRPlast which has a similar chemical resistance to PTFE so this could work, but before I rushed into making commitments, I thought it couldn't hurt to seek out a second opinion.

Is FFKM the best option for chemical processing or should I continue to shop around?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2018 #2

ChemAir

Gold Member

There is not a best option for *all* chemicals and *all* temperatures/pressures. Which chemicals are you trying to resist, and at what temperature/pressure?

Specifying Chemical resistance or chemical processing is vague. Liquid chlorine, sulphur gas, sulfuric acid, plasticizers, and ethylene oxide are all chemicals, but their elastomer specs can vary, especially when cost/temperature are concerned.

4. Nov 26, 2018 #3
    What Chemair said.
    Additionally: Once you decide on a material (FFKM, for example), you have the added concern of the specific formulation. FFKM with a carbon filler is absolutely unsuitable for some applications where FFKM with a 'mineral' filler performs beautifully. It's definitely an area where learning from the mistakes/successes of others is wise. Pioneering is expensive.

5. Nov 27, 2018 #4

Zap

Use silly putty

6. Nov 28, 2018 #5

Javier Lopez

Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted