Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemiosmosis and Weight Loss

1. May 30, 2004 #1

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

This was a question given to one of my classes on an exam some time back. I wonder if anyone here can nail it. I know the answer now of course, but I'm curious to see what the posters will think.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, a biochem question :smile: normally a proton gradient is set up along the respiratory chain, at the end of the chain the ATP synthase unit uses this proton gradient to synthesize ATP. The uncoupler neutrolizes the proton gradient by making the membrane leaky, thus no ATP can be made. DNP doesn't prevent respiration from taking place, so energy is still being burned but it is not turned into anything usefull. There isn't enough ATP in the cell, so it will upregulate respiration, burning more energy :P

4. May 30, 2004 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You're basically right, but you'd only get half-credit for that answer. The professor wanted a more specific description of what would happen. ATP can still be made, just not through chemiosmosis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?