Chemistry and properties of small engine motor oils

In summary: The engine oil for a lawnmower has a chain that is very long. This means that the oil will have a high melting and boiling point. This is important because it means that the oil will not become pasty in the winter when it is very cold. The oil for a snow blower does not have a long chain. This means that the oil will have a lower melting and boiling point. This is important because it means that the oil will not become pasty in the winter when it is very cold. It also has to flow well when the engine is started and when it is hot. The engine oil for a lawnmower has a chain that is very long. This means that the oil will have a high melting
projection

Homework Statement

Compare the properties of a engine oil used in your lawnmower with that used in a snow blower. relate these properties to the intermolecular forces in each type of oil.

The Attempt at a Solution

i think this has something to do with carbon chains and how in winter the oil may get thicker and become pasty in the engine and how in summer it may get too thin and not be able to lubricate the pistons?

i am not too sure about this one. some help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
you're on the right track, would you use the same oil for both machines? what property are you looking at to help you choose which oil to use in which machine.

What is it about the structure of the carbon chains that will help you decide which oil to use?

the longer the chain is, the higher the melting and boiling point. so if the chain is too big the oil may become pasty in winter and will need a really hot winter to make it prefectly lubricant. so you want engine oil with a medium size carbon chain?

projection said:
the longer the chain is, the higher the melting and boiling point. so if the chain is too big the oil may become pasty in winter and will need a really hot winter to make it prefectly lubricant. so you want engine oil with a medium size carbon chain?

The problem asks to "Compare the properties of a engine oil used in your lawnmower with that used in a snow blower. relate these properties to the intermolecular forces in each type of oil."

Carbon chain length is not a property but gives rise to some. Talk a little bit about the intermolecular forces in each type of oil.

Both of these oils are used both to lubricate the engine and to cool it (these engines have no radiator). One is designed to work in the summer and the other in the dead of winter when it is extremely cold. They both have to flow just after the engine is started and when the engine is hot. What properties are important in these cases? What type of intermolecular forces give rise to these properties?

Related to Chemistry and properties of small engine motor oils

1. What are the main components of small engine motor oils and how do they contribute to its properties?

The main components of small engine motor oils are base oils and additives. Base oils provide lubrication and reduce friction between engine parts, while additives enhance the oil's performance by improving its viscosity, oxidation resistance, and detergency.

2. What is the difference between conventional, synthetic, and synthetic blend small engine motor oils?

Conventional oils are refined from crude oil and contain impurities, while synthetic oils are chemically engineered for better performance and purity. Synthetic blend oils are a mixture of both conventional and synthetic oils, offering some of the benefits of both types.

3. How do I choose the right small engine motor oil for my specific engine?

The best way to choose the right oil is to consult your engine's manual or manufacturer's recommendations. They will specify the required viscosity and oil type (conventional, synthetic, or synthetic blend) for optimal performance and longevity of your engine.

4. Can I use small engine motor oil for my car's engine?

No, small engine motor oils are specifically formulated for smaller engines with different operating conditions and requirements. Using it in a car's engine can lead to damage and decreased performance.

5. How often should I change the oil in my small engine?

The frequency of oil changes depends on various factors such as engine type, usage, and environmental conditions. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's guidelines, which typically range from every 50-100 hours of operation or once a year.