Engine lubricant temperature reduction

In summary, the motorcycle company in India has allotted me the project of reducing the lubricant temperature in an engine. I've seen the flow path of the lubricating oil and I don't know how to reduce the temperature. Jobrag suggested adding fins to the sump and Csiddharthn said increasing the oil capacity will help.
csiddharthn
I need to reduce the lubricant temperature in a motorcycle engine.?
I've been allotted this project in a motorcycle company in India in which I need to reduce the average temperature to which a lubricating oil gets heated up, in an engine for one of their models. Now I did see the flow path of the lubricating oil - sump to a filter, filter to a gerotor pump, to the gallery - splitting up to the crankshaft (through a centrifugal filter) and to the cylinder head, after which it lubricates the piston, valvetrain, timing chain and drops into the sump back again. Now I don't have a clue of how to REDUCE the temperature to which it heats up. Here are some facts:

a) They recommend 10W30 for use as lube in that engine. So do I try measuring the temperatures with 20W50 or something? I've heard that higher the viscosity index after that W, higher is the high temperature performance, although I'm not so sure of how changing the oil would reduce the average temperature it gets heated up to.

b) Does introducing an oil restrictor have any effect?

c) Is it of any use trying to change the quantity of lubricating oil? 900 ml is the lube oil capacity of that engine, so what will happen if I pour 1000 ml of lubricating oil and perform that test?

d) Changing the oil pump. That does have an effect, but that's the only thing that I've tried so far and I need more ideas.

e) Changing the oil filter. Will that have any effect on the TEMPERATURE? If so, HOW?

I need to finish this project within a month and I absolutely haven't a clue of what and how to do this. PLEASE HELP!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Two words: oil cooler.

oil cooler

Does the sump have cooling fins if not the addition of some might help, anything that increases the surface area of the sump will help. What about the air path over the sump is that restricted by anything, fairings or such?

er... will this have any effect: drilling holes in the crankcase so that oil that lubricates the valvetrain --> piston --> gearbox --> sump through holes already available, flows more freely(? I'm confused) into the sump? Will the oil pressure decrease?

You've got to take heat away from the oil. I assume that all of the parts mentioned are already receiving sufficient lubrication, otherwise you would have a lot of seized motorcycle engines laying around. Like Jobrag suggested, the fix could be as simple as adding fins to the sump. You need to get information on how much of a temperature reduction is required.

In addition to the good suggestions posted above I will add the following.

My old XT 600 had a remote oil tank that was placed away from the heat of the engine and exhaust. I am sure this helped.

It also had about 3.0l of oil - 5 times the cc of the engine.

I think increasing the oil capacity will help. The amount circulating around the hot parts of the engine is fixed for a given pumping rate. Increasing the the capacity will increase the amount of oil sitting in the sump and therefore the amount of time it has to loose heat before it gets sent around the hot parts again.

Likes 1 person
Are they going to share the profits with those who help?

Csiddharthn
Did you manage to solve your problem?

If sump have some fins type structure will be usefull or use oilcooler. Low viscosity oil good for less clearances like 10w30 .

I did manage to reduce the temperature by increasing pressure at the crankpin outlet (enlarged that hole) although i have no clue of the physics that transpired!

1. How does engine lubricant temperature affect the performance of an engine?

Engine lubricant temperature plays a crucial role in maintaining the proper functioning of an engine. If the temperature is too high, it can cause the oil to break down and lose its lubricating properties, leading to increased friction and wear on engine parts. On the other hand, if the temperature is too low, the oil may become too thick and fail to flow properly, resulting in poor engine performance.

2. What are some common methods for reducing engine lubricant temperature?

There are a few ways to reduce engine lubricant temperature. One method is to use a high-quality, synthetic oil that has a higher heat tolerance and can maintain its viscosity at higher temperatures. Another approach is to use an oil cooler, which circulates the oil through a heat exchanger and helps dissipate excess heat. Additionally, improving overall engine efficiency, such as through regular maintenance and proper tuning, can also help reduce lubricant temperature.

3. Can using a lower viscosity oil help reduce engine lubricant temperature?

Yes, using a lower viscosity oil can help reduce engine lubricant temperature. Lower viscosity oils are thinner and flow more easily, which can improve heat transfer and prevent the oil from becoming too thick and causing problems with engine performance. However, it's important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the proper oil viscosity for your specific engine.

4. How does engine load and driving conditions affect engine lubricant temperature?

Engine load and driving conditions can have a significant impact on engine lubricant temperature. Higher engine loads, such as towing heavy loads or driving up steep hills, can generate more heat and cause the oil to reach higher temperatures. Similarly, driving in hot weather or stop-and-go traffic can also increase lubricant temperature. It's essential to monitor the oil temperature in these situations and take steps to reduce it if necessary.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing high engine lubricant temperature?

If high engine lubricant temperature is not addressed, it can lead to severe damage to various engine components. The increased friction and wear caused by overheating oil can cause engine parts to wear out more quickly and potentially fail. In extreme cases, this can result in expensive repairs or even the need for a new engine. Regularly monitoring and addressing high lubricant temperature is essential for the long-term health and performance of an engine.