1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry: Naming compounds. Need someone to double check my work please.

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi. I only have one more submission left in my homework. Can someone please check this problem real quick for me?
    DIRECTIONS: Write the formula for each of the following compounds. (Type your answer using the format Al(HSO4)3 for Al(HSO4)3.)
    PROBLEM: Ammonium Acetate
    MY ANSWER: NH4C2H3OO

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is tricky. You have correct atoms, no doubt about it, but there are many ways this formula can be written. For example NH4CH3COO, NH4CH3CO2. Technically if the group is present once only there is no need for parentheses.

To make things even more complicated organic salts are sometimes written in reversed order - like CH3COONH4, but directions seem to exclude this approach.

4. Jun 25, 2011 #3
    thank you a lot for your help. unfortunately i got it wrong though.
    it is because there are too many ways to rearrange this problem! lol. but thanks anywayss.

5. Jun 25, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If your teacher is reasonable you can try to argue that answer is ambiguous - as far as I can tell there is no one, agreed way of writing acetates formulas. Apart from those I listed earlier some people write ammonium acetate as C2H3O2NH4.

Could be you were told to use reversed order when writing formulas of organic salts, in which case directions can be misleading, if treated literally.

6. Jun 27, 2011 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hate these types of problems... you don't really learn any chemistry, just some meaningless rule that nobody uses.

My answer would have been NH4(CH3CO2). As in your example, the anion is in parentheses and the cation is out front.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook