1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Chemistry Professionals -- I have an Interview -- help please

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I am a recent chemistry undergrad and just got an interview for a lab supervisor at a local college (undergrad)
    I know I will have to assume a lot of responsibility, and I am prepared for that. However, being my first professional opportunity, I have no idea what to expect. I know there is a long competency test (not sure what will be tested) and I am curious as to whether the professionals in this forum have had similar experiences! I would love to know what to expect in this interview!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What else is about you? Are you just a recent Chemistry graduate, or do you have some significant laboratory experience involving many different processes and instruments? If you are merely a young newly finished undergraduate, then you at best will have no chance of being hired. Don't worry about this, but go through the preparation and interview process anyway, so you will know for sure.

4. Nov 20, 2016 #3
    I am a recent chem graduate, however, I have held several internships throughout my degree. I fit the requirement of having ample academic laboratory experience. So for me ,I'm more concerned about the questions I can expect. Especially for a supervisory position :)

5. Nov 20, 2016 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Naturally, leadership experience and any supervisory experience will give you some qualification; so in your case, you may really have some chance. Look at this optimistically. You are aware enough of internships and have had some, and you've used some equipment to accomplish tasks. The interviewer will probably ask questions about these. He will probably ask if you understand some specific pieces of equipment and how to use them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted