Chemistry vs Biology vs Computing for Electrical engineering?

In summary, Electrical Engineering is a good option for a final subject as it covers a variety of topics which are relevant to the subject.
rollcast
I have to decide on what subjects I want to continue on for A level and was just wondering what I should pick as my last slot.

I want to do Electrical Engineering at uni when I leave school. I'm really interested in either really big applications of EE like large HV plant stuff but also I'm fascinated by integrated circuit chips and memory chips.

So I want to keep my knowledge base relevant for EE but maybe a bit wider and broaching onto related disciplines.

I've already got down on my form - which I have 4 choices for.

Maths and Further maths - only takes up one choice but counts for 2 A levels and is pretty much essential if I wanted to go to a top level uni or study engineering over here.

Physics -again another pre - requisite for engineering in general.

Technology and Design - relevant because it covers electronics and other "technical" stuff

AND then for my 4th choice I've left - well from the subjects I would and could do - Chemistry, Biology and Computing (basically like programming and computer systems etc.)

I can see how - well apart from Biology - the subjects are relevant but has anyone who has done or is doing EE got anything to add that might help me?

Thanks

AL

Physics news on Phys.org
Biology isn't that relevant if you want to do engineering. A good idea would be to do electrical engineering in school to give you at least a basic knowledge of it for uni and it might be required to do that specific course.

Chem and Biology would be helpful if you were interested in Bimedical applications in EE. But otherwise, the Computing option will be fun for you. If you haven't programmed much before, it can be a real eye-opener. My first programming class in college caused me to change my major from ME to EE...

berkeman said:
Chem and Biology would be helpful if you were interested in Bimedical applications in EE. But otherwise, the Computing option will be fun for you. If you haven't programmed much before, it can be a real eye-opener. My first programming class in college caused me to change my major from ME to EE...

Thank Berkeman, I'm in no way interested in ever doing anything related to biology again - I'm in the top 5% of my school for biology but I just hate learning all the definitions and diagrams that go with it.

I understand the basics of programming and know enough of either C++ or C# to make a basic application. I think if I at a later date needed to know more, with a bit of study I could probably get a grip of the more advanced concepts of programming.

In computing I think they study VB or something stupid like that but I would probably give it a go - the only problem is I mightn't get a provisional offer for it as I haven't studied it before so it mightn't be an option.

Chemistry is a subject which I'm both good at and enjoy so its more likely what I would choose.

It looks like Chemistry is out going by the provisional list as its in the columns I need to choose Maths and Technology out of.

That leaves me with either, computing, biology, economics, politics or french.

Looks like I'll probably be going for computing then.

1. What is the main difference between Chemistry, Biology, and Computing in relation to Electrical Engineering?

Chemistry focuses on the study of matter and its properties, while Biology focuses on the study of living organisms. Computing, on the other hand, deals with the design, development, and use of computer systems and software. In relation to Electrical Engineering, Chemistry is more closely related to material science and the properties of electronic components, Biology is relevant for understanding biological systems and their potential application in technology, and Computing is essential for developing and programming electrical systems.

2. Which field is more useful for understanding and designing electronic devices and systems?

All three fields have their own unique contributions to understanding and designing electronic devices and systems. Chemistry provides a fundamental understanding of the properties of materials used in electronic components, Biology offers insights into the functioning of biological systems that can be applied in technology, and Computing is crucial for designing and programming electronic systems. Therefore, a combination of knowledge from all three fields is necessary for a comprehensive understanding of electrical engineering.

3. How do these fields intersect in the field of Electrical Engineering?

The intersection of Chemistry, Biology, and Computing in Electrical Engineering can be seen in various areas such as the design of electronic components using materials with specific chemical properties, the development of bio-inspired technology, and the use of computational methods for modeling and simulating electronic systems. Additionally, advancements in one field can often lead to advancements in another, creating a symbiotic relationship between the three.

4. Which field offers the most career opportunities in Electrical Engineering?

All three fields offer numerous career opportunities in Electrical Engineering. Depending on your interests and strengths, you may choose to specialize in a particular field. For example, if you are interested in developing new materials for electronic components, Chemistry would be a suitable choice. Alternatively, if you are interested in designing and programming electronic systems, Computing may be the best fit. Ultimately, the field that offers the most career opportunities for you will depend on your individual skills and interests.

5. How can a background in Chemistry, Biology, or Computing benefit someone pursuing a career in Electrical Engineering?

A background in Chemistry, Biology, or Computing can provide a strong foundation for a career in Electrical Engineering. Knowledge of Chemistry is essential for understanding the properties of materials used in electronic components, Biology can offer insights into biological systems that can be applied in technology, and Computing skills are crucial for designing and programming electronic systems. Having a well-rounded understanding of these fields can open up a wide range of career opportunities in Electrical Engineering.