Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chicken nuggets anyone?

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

I do not know where to post this one. It is kind of "science-lite" IMO.

"The autopsy of chicken nuggets reads 'Chicken Little'"
    Richard D. deShazo, MD, Steven Bigler, MD, Leigh Baldwin Skipworth, BA
    http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(13)00396-3/abstract

Two chicken nuggets from different sources were sectioned and analyzed microscopically.
    One was 40% meat, the majority of the nugget was fat. A small portion was cartilage and bone.

Nugget #2 was 50% striated muscle - what we think of as meat. The rest was skin, epithelial tissues (gut lining), nerve tissue.

Ignoring the sample size issue, this is interesting - another aspect of the 'pink slime' syndrome in "Food Science". At the worst, though, I think it is going to undermine chicken nugget sales. It is fair to put whatever you want (FDA approved) into food, as long as consumers know. My wife gets frozen nuggets sometimes, the label just says 'chicken'. Which is correct. Just like 'pink slime' is a meat product. Misleading but correct. Here we go with more fun and games.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Golly, I'm shocked. Shocked I say.

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You snooze, you lose. Always get chicken tenders or breast fillets and skip anything that says nuggets. Now popcorn chicken ...

5. Oct 5, 2013 #4
    Yes shocked. That means the chicken beaks and toes are going someplace else into another product......

6. Oct 5, 2013 #5

Evo

Not as bad as ground beef.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_beef

Not to mention allowable amounts of feces, insects, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Defect_Action_Levels

7. Oct 5, 2013 #6

jim mcnamara

I worked for the USDA a long time ago (1967) - wheat flour had defined limits for insect frass, and exoskeleton fragments as well. These are all artifacts of grain storage.

As I said earlier this is interesting, not necessarily personally revolting. Processed foods produced in industrial environments are gonna have contaminants. Period. Seven sigma it ain't.

8. Oct 5, 2013 #7

Evo

Well, it is personally revolting, but unavoidable if you eat commercial products. I don't know how much cleaner Kosher meat is.

9. Oct 8, 2013 #8

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I feel like I've become immune to some of these reports. The concept of "eating the entire animal" isn't new. It's just that these products are so surprisingly palpable and we expect them to be utterly disgusting.

If you gave me a ligament and brain sandwich and didn't tell me what it was, there's a pretty good chance I'd like it. (As long as it doesn't have capers... I HATE capers.)

10. Oct 8, 2013 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This made me laugh - School Pulls All-Beef Burgers From Menu, Citing Complaints

Sounds to me that they weren't cooking them completely and nobody noticed until real burgers without food coloring were served. Solution: serve the other undercooked burger that just looks like it's been cooked. :rolleyes:

11. Oct 8, 2013 #10

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I live on the edge... I like my burgers with a little pink in the middle. And I especially love them served by school cafeteria ladies...

12. Oct 8, 2013 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

so happy to be living in farm country. My children got to know their chickens before they watched their plucked, decapitated carcasses go into the oven.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook