Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

China destroys satellite with missile

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    Freedom!

Hurray! Our president is bringing us freedom!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/w...&en=f9cca6749a53bb61&ei=5094&partner=homepage

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you want to do? Run about the streets screaming "hypocrisy"?

I'd be very surprised to hear that the US doesn't possess this capability. From what I've read or heard before, low orbit reconsats are easy prey to a slightly modified F-15 or F-22.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  4. Jan 18, 2007 #3
    USA has had the capability since the '80's, as you'd know if you'd read a mere five lines into the quoted article. It's implementing the capability that counts.

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm with Gokul43201 -- you don't appear to have made any point at all.

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    No point? China is developing anti-satellite weapons, and the neocons will follow in kind, because it is their American "freedom" to spend hundreds of billions on a new arms race whether anyone likes it or not. What's not to be concerned about?

7. Jan 19, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None of this, of course, appeared in the opening post. :tongue:

Hrm, you have literally quoted a statement of fact in the OP, and then you misquoted it here. Okay, so what? Facts are just facts (and misquotes are just dumb); they do not constitute a point.

8. Jan 19, 2007 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, my mistake, I missed this. I guess you were making a point after all. I'm glad you're happy, but I think you misunderstood the article; it doesn't say he's bring us freedom. It says that the government intend to preserve what freedom we already have.

9. Jan 19, 2007 #8
    No, Bush doesn't say he's preserving our freedom, he says he's excercing his freedom, specifically "freedom of action", which is his personal euphemism for "freedom to fulfill whatever multibilliondollar harebrained scheme I think up."

10. Jan 19, 2007 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're reading the same article I am, right?

the United States would “preserve its rights, capabilities, and freedom of action in space”

the United States would “deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests.”​

I don't see this in the article either.

I doubt that you opened this thread as an exercise in reading comprehension, so I'll ask again: what is your point?

11. Jan 19, 2007 #10
    Rach, all you ever do is hype things up. Get a life.

12. Jan 19, 2007 #11

verty

Homework Helper

He wants to preserve the freedom to deny freedom.

13. Jan 22, 2007 #12
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003531646_chinasat190.html

We have spent $ billions trying to hit an incoming nuclear weapon, you know, the old hit a bullet with a bullet quasi technology. Now China spends a fraction of that amount and shows that they can knock out our surveillance satellites as well as our GPS system. Most of our advanced weapons use GPS for targeting.

This is interesting, the Chinese can now stop us from starting a war unless we do it strictly low tech. We can however clean up the mess with Chinese made Hoover vacuum cleaners.:rolleyes: Some car owners might even have to learn how to read a road map again.

It really irks me that I can not come up with a significant list of useful products that are not made in China. We do still make Crayons and playdough, but so does China.

Perhaps American corporations have given the Chinese a bit too much of our technology. In years to come I doubt that we will see that there was any benefit in giving China our jobs and our factories so that we could maintain a faux appearance of prosperity.

14. Jan 23, 2007 #13

verty

Homework Helper

Why does it worry you that China produces so much? If it didn't, I suspect you would need to pay more for it.

15. Jan 23, 2007 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Jan 23, 2007 #15

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  17. Jan 23, 2007 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite. They can hit our low orbiting satellites provided we maneuver them to make them easier to hit. They can't hit a GPS because GPS satellites have too high of an orbit.

18. Jan 23, 2007 #17
    Bob
    What would make you think that they can't go higher? If not now, at the rate they are absorbing our technology, they will in the near future.

19. Jan 23, 2007 #18
    That is also what the Romans suspected. China has our industrial base in a strangle hold and everyone looks the other way because we can buy a cheap microwave oven. And it is not just that, China is using our technology for military advancement. Plus they are producing more engineers than we are.

20. Jan 23, 2007 #19
    http://www.havelaptopwilltravel.com/future-chinese-gps-system-cant-be-jammed/

Now we add this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10472-chinas-satellite-navigation-plans-threaten-galileo.html

They use the technology of the west to build systems and products that compete with our own. They produce it cheaper, we buy from them. It has gone on that way for far too long.

21. Jan 23, 2007 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't think it is a more than significant technological leap to go from shooting down weather satellites orbiting directly overhead at an altitude of 500 miles to taking out GPS satellites orbitting somewhere at an altitude of over 10,000 miles? Do you anticipate the US technology to remain stagnant during the time it would take to make this transition?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?