China's diffuse chloro-carbon emissions?

• Thread starter Nik_2213
  • Start date
Summary
Could it stem from their faux-leather industry ??
IIRC, the hunt is on for the elusive source of China's diffuse halo-carbon emissions.
May I offer their busy faux-leather industry, based around 'vinyl' & 'PVC' materials ?

Personal observation: Family member ordered a bespoke pair of smart 'party boots' from a AliEx company. When those arrived this morning, the bundle was so secure, it was handed to me to breach.
Foom !!
The escaping fumes made that room and, soon, half the house smell like an urgently 'dry cleaned' suit before adequate airing...

IMHO, factories and 'cutters', be they tailors or cobblers, may have adequate ventilation & volatiles capture, but many shipped items will release a small but, in combination, significant quantity of fumes at their destination...
YMMV.

DEvens

Education Advisor
Gold Member
There are many different halocarbons. One is sucralose, an artificial sweetener. Which ones are showing up in the environment in China? That should tell you a lot about the source.

Sucralose seems to lack volatile break-down products.

Of course, there may be an unsuspected bacterial population in the effluent pathway whose metabolism cuts a significant quantity of Cl loose as volatile halo-carbons. Analogy would be oceanic production of DMS & DMSO...

pinball1970

Gold Member
Summary: Could it stem from their faux-leather industry ??

IIRC, the hunt is on for the elusive source of China's diffuse halo-carbon emissions.
May I offer their busy faux-leather industry, based around 'vinyl' & 'PVC' materials ?

Personal observation: Family member ordered a bespoke pair of smart 'party boots' from a AliEx company. When those arrived this morning, the bundle was so secure, it was handed to me to breach.
Foom !!
The escaping fumes made that room and, soon, half the house smell like an urgently 'dry cleaned' suit before adequate airing...

IMHO, factories and 'cutters', be they tailors or cobblers, may have adequate ventilation & volatiles capture, but many shipped items will release a small but, in combination, significant quantity of fumes at their destination...
YMMV.
Packaging, lots based on PVC which is why companies are switching to PPE, LDPE.
No need for phthalates, no issue with dioxins, less mass and green house gases.
My own view? Replace not recycle. With non plastic.