Choose Physics or Engineering: Advice for Uni Students in Auckland

In summary: Overall, it's up to you to decide which path is best for you. Both paths have their advantages and disadvantages, so you'll have to decide what you think is best for you.In summary, - Physics is a part of science, and the primary focus of science is the acquisition of knowledge.- Engineering is much more directed toward accomplishing specified task.- There are no objective optimal paths, and each path has its advantages and disadvantages.
abcd
Hi everyone,
I am a new member in this forum. I am a high school student and will be going to uni next year. I live in Auckland and Auckland university offers both Engineering and Physics courses. I need some advice on which course should I choose and will give me a better position in the job market after I graduate.
Personally, I am very much interested in physics and maths. I wouldn't say I'm extraordinary in both if you are talking about exams but I'd say I'm moderately good and I do stick to my studies. I'm pretty sure the gap in difficulty between high school and uni is massive. I do not know which course to choose for what job. Up until now, I used to think that studying physics in high school is the same as studying engineering in university. But now I know that you can actually 'study physics' to a higher level. But what are the job opportunities in that sector? And even if I do choose engineering does it cover " all of the physics"? I was interested in doing a job as meteorologist however it requires " Bachelor of science in physics" and not engineering.
I would be very grateful if someone can help me and give me some advice. I'm sure indecisiveness won't get me anywhere so I want to set a goal now.
Thank you so much for reading.
Please do stop by to tell me which one is better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome abcd,

I have moved your thread from "Member Introductions Only - No Questions" for you so you don't have to re-post your thread in the correct forum. :smile: Many people seem to miss that information in the welcome e-mail for some reason, so no big deal.

Physics is a part of science (also chemistry, biology, etc), and the primary focus of science is the acquisition of knowledge. Science seeks to understand how things work, to discover relationships, and to gain understanding and insight into the physical world.

Engineering is much more directed toward accomplishing specified task. In many places, the legal definition of an engineer is "a person qualified to design" where design means to specify in complete detail systems to perform tasks. Engineers make use of physics daily, often in considerable depth. They also do research to discover new knowledge, but usually with a specific goal in mind. Thus engineering research might be directed toward understanding the propagation of cracks in steel, a very specific goal.

No one can tell you what you should study. That is entirely up to you. You should try to talk with people in various jobs that you think might be of interest, ask them what they do, what their goals are, what their days are like.

Are you sure about being a meteorologist? If you are, you should focus on the academic path that leads to that.

Otherwise, give it some time. Most Physics and Engineering programs have the same core courses at the beginning. You'll take intro level Calculus-based Mechanics and Electromagnetics courses. You can also take courses like Statics and Dynamics as core requirements for any Engineering program. Usually, there's a course in circuit theory as well. Most programs also have some kind of Modern Physics/Introductory Quantum Mechanics course. Once you take all these courses, you should have a better idea of which path is better for you.

When you're looking at this kind of problem: engineering or physics, it's important to remember that there is no objective optimal path. Each path has its advantages and disadvantages and so you have to look at your options in terms of what's best for what you want to do.

With engineering some of the main advantages are that the programs are professionally oriented. They are set up to get you into a specific profession that will have its own professional governing bodies and set of regulation about who can and can't be a professional engineer. When you graduate, you'll be able to look for a job as an engineer and there will be employers who are looking to hire engineers. The different disciplines are broad and you can end up doing a lot of really cool stuff. Unless you do something like "engineering physics" you probably won't see subjects like quantum mechanics or relativity and instead will focus on much more "applied" topics.

To contrast it, physics is a lot more academic. An undergraduate degree in physics will generally be set up to prepare you to go on for graduate study in physics. And when you graduate, you won't be ready to springboard into a specific profession outside of academia. There aren't too many employers who look to hire BSc-level physics graduates. So you'll likely have to figure out how to transition from an education in physics into some kind of profession. According to the data, it seems that most graduates tend to fair pretty well in the end, but anecdotally the transition doesn't seem as smooth as it is for people coming out of a professional program.

Likes Dr.D

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create useful products, structures, and systems. While physics is more theoretical and focuses on understanding the underlying principles, engineering is more practical and involves using those principles to solve real-world problems.

2. Which field has better job prospects, physics or engineering?

Both physics and engineering have excellent job prospects, but they lead to different career paths. Physics graduates can pursue careers in research, teaching, or working in industries such as healthcare, energy, and technology. Engineering graduates, on the other hand, have a wider range of options, including working in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and electronics. Ultimately, the job prospects will depend on your interests, skills, and the specific field within physics or engineering that you choose to specialize in.

3. Can I study both physics and engineering at the same time?

While it is possible to study both physics and engineering at the same time, it may be challenging to do so. Both fields require a significant amount of time and effort, and it may be difficult to balance the workload from both disciplines. However, some universities offer joint programs that combine aspects of both physics and engineering, allowing students to gain knowledge and skills in both areas. It is essential to carefully consider your strengths, interests, and career goals before deciding to pursue a joint program.

4. What skills do I need to succeed in physics or engineering?

To succeed in physics or engineering, you will need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a natural curiosity about how things work. Analytical and critical thinking skills are also crucial, as both fields involve problem-solving and experimentation. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are essential for collaborating with others and presenting your findings. It is also beneficial to have hands-on experience with computer programming and laboratory equipment.

5. How can I choose between physics and engineering as a career?

The best way to choose between physics and engineering as a career is to explore your interests and strengths. If you enjoy understanding the fundamental principles of the universe and are passionate about research, a career in physics may be a good fit for you. If you prefer applying scientific knowledge to solve practical problems and have an interest in design and construction, engineering may be a better option. It is also helpful to speak with professionals in both fields and gain hands-on experience through internships or job shadowing to get a better understanding of what each career entails.