Which Is Better for My Future: Computer Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering?

In summary, if you are interested in a career in mechatronics engineering, you will need to be familiar with a variety of disciplines and have strong skills in several areas.
omar alaa
I'm a first year engineering student and I have to select a major and I'm confused between computer engineering and mechatronics engineering because I love them both so can you help me with any advice and information about their career life , study ,job opportunities ...etc

Physics news on Phys.org
If you love computer, you can learn as you go.. But you cannot learn mechanical engineering/mechatronics outside the classroom. So my suggestion is that you take up mechatronics..And still you can learn more and more about computers/programming online or through certificate courses..

but of course mechatronics engineer will not have a strong background in computing right ?
can anyone give me the fields of career of each of them and study ...etc thanks in advance

The computer aspect of mechatronics is not the same as the commonly taught computer aspects of office automation. It is much more hardware oriented. In an office system, if it takes an extra 500 milliseconds to paint a web page for you WHO CARES? But if it takes an extra 500 milliseconds to react to position feedback, that's a show stopper.

As Varadha points out, there are also concerns about feedback systems, motion control, the care and feeding of stepper and server motors, hydraulic systems, fluid statics and dynamics, structures, extensive mathematics classes and so many more subjects.

You have much study ahead of you. It will be difficult, but if you love this stuff, you'll really appreciate it.

and I love this stuff but I'm not interested in pure mechanical systems also what differs me from a mechanical engineer ?

Mechatronic Engineering is a specific kind of Control Systems Engineering. It is the intersection of several Engineering disciplines. There are electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, pneumatic, and software aspects to this work. You don't have to be an expert in any of these fields, but you do have to be familiar with all of them.

FAQ: Which Is Better for My Future: Computer Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering?

1. What are the different types of engineering majors available?

There are many different types of engineering majors, including mechanical, civil, electrical, chemical, aerospace, and computer engineering. Each major focuses on a specific area of engineering and has its own unique curriculum.

2. How do I decide which engineering major is right for me?

Choosing an engineering major can be a difficult decision, but there are a few steps you can take to help you decide. First, consider your interests and strengths in math and science. You should also research the different types of engineering majors to see which ones align with your career goals. Additionally, talking to current engineering students and professionals can provide valuable insights.

3. Will the coursework be the same for all engineering majors?

No, the coursework for each engineering major will vary based on the specific focus of the major. However, most engineering majors will have core classes in math, physics, and basic engineering principles. It's important to research the curriculum for each major to get a better understanding of the coursework.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for engineering majors?

There are certain skills and qualities that are important for success in engineering, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong math and science abilities. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are crucial for working on projects with other engineers and professionals.

5. Can I change my engineering major after starting college?

Yes, it is possible to change your engineering major after starting college. However, it's important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and coursework requirements. It's best to speak with an academic advisor to discuss your options and create a plan for switching majors.